Monday, December 02, 2019

Learn Not To Burn



The first apartment I ever rented was a complete house. Truly, a complete house for $65 a month. Granted, this was way back in the 70s and Nampa Idaho but still. The little house with a standalone two-car garage that had been converted into a living situation. Half of the downstairs was still a garage the rest was walled off to make a small living room bisected by a staircase that traveled upstairs the weather the entire upstairs is one complete room sort like an addict. On you decided the stairs was the kitchen a small cute little kitchen with a sink in a small stove and refrigerator. Off the kitchen was the shower and bathroom one large room with a real fundamental shower. The shower area so reminded me of a dorm shower but it was functional and I could use it. I actually love that place. Once again, the stairs going to the second floor was where of course I had my bed. There is room for at least two beds upstairs at either end of the attic. There is no carpet just painted floor but I kind of liked it. I checked to see if I'd written about this before and I couldn't find any references. Surprisingly this posting is not about my Nampa apartment it's about the fact that I nearly burnt down my apartment. But I want to give you the lay of the land.

One of the early lessons I learned when learning to cook for myself and my little apartment was to keep the area on the stove as clean as possible in particular keepaway paper products from the burners. I had an electric stove which is kind of dangerous for me. The controls are in the back tie up so I had to reach over burners to get to the controls. One evening as preparing my dinner and somehow became distracted changing a record on my stereo are something and I did notice that paper towel or something was on a burner I was turned on or maybe it was it towel I think it was a towel actually. The towel combusted as I looked over for my small living room and terror flames shooting up off of the stove I read by chair over as fast as I could trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I have to give up and leave the apartment and watched the little place burned to the ground. Luckily I saw a broom handle which I grabbed and started pounding on the flames was able to insert the handle under the flames and move the whole burning bundle into the sink which I then extinguished the fire was running water. I just lucked out. I probably have repeated this scenario at least three times that I can recall. I've gotten more and more cautious when cooking. And quite frankly I'm amazed that I haven't totally torched one of my living situations I've been in over the past 50 years.





No comments: