Sunday, December 01, 2019

The War's Over



Adopted or not I am so my parents child. My adoptive parents, and for all practical purposes my parents, my real parents, the ones who took me in and raise me and got me through my broken neck and life in general. Those were folks Who were pre-Depression people. Good old poor Americans trying to survive best way they could. They are born into teens of the 19th century are whatever the 1900s were. They went to the depression in the wars where there is nothing for the regular folk, the working-class folk. They raised the their food, processed and canned their food and stockpiled their food. They were never going to go through another period Which they had survived. And of course, I was right in their watching them canned food, bottle food dry and preserve food. Always waiting for the rainy day. Whenever we would complain about having to use this preserved cache of foodWe would get the standard “we are in the middle of the war, like we were, you'd be thankful for this food.”

So here I am, I have a closet full of canned goods and a freezer at the top of my refrigerator full of frozen meat and stuff from the food bank which I'm trying to use that seems harder and harder to figure out what to eat. I just want to go out and buy new meat and vegetables and fruits. The other day I was at the “Sharing Shelf” and there were three or four cans of evaporated milk. I just gotten a couple cans from the food bank in my Thanksgiving box. I don't know why I felt I had to have these cans evaporated milk as well. As with my friend Irene disorder runs the kitchen down there. She showed me the milk was way past its due date are best used by date. I didn't care I just saw this free milk that I can use my coffee besides, the best “use by” date is a myth right? Something industry has fabricated so that can goods will be thrown away and new product will have to be purchased to replace. I know that it's a conspiracy. Everyone knows canned food lasts forever. Right? My poor mother drug around canned peaches and cherries and honey to the day she died. Then they cleaned out her storage areas this food showed up. It was a shame nobody wanted the canned items I took the wheat (everyone knows week lasts forever – – but even found wheat in the pyramids stored for the pharaohs and it cooked right up after 2000 years thus is close to ever as I will ever deal with.

This morning I made new coffee for the week. And I used the last of the can of evaporated milk in the fridge raider that I've been nursing all week. I went over to the closet and pulled out one of the cans of milk that was at least 12 years past its due date And opened it up. The liquid inside was an odd color yellow almost orange. I tasted sip and I had to admit had a weird taste. The milk was okay I can tell, I was not going to get sick from ingesting it the milk was just old way old. I didn't like the flavor. I poured some into my coffee cup believing that the pink sugar and coffee will make the drink tolerable. The drink was tolerable but just barely. I drank the whole cup but for the rest of the milk down the sink in am going to toss the rest of the cans of milk in the dumpster. Come on the wars over…

No comments: