Thursday, December 12, 2019

Like Playing Hookie



I'm not proud of myself but I cannot tell you how happy I was when I called the office today and found my Thursday afternoon bookclub had been canceled. I would've gone if they did have bookclub but the weather has been borderline foul. Not really bad but severely overcast and threatening rain or snow all day. I usually don't call to find out I just show up at the library,but today I did Call in glad that I did. Is able to stay home in the heat of the apartment.

If our bookclub was super active and we had a group of seven great folks then attending the bookclub regardless of the weather scenario would not be a problem. However, I've noticed in the past number of weeks a continual decline of participation of consumers or folks that we serve.. In fact the last couple weeks is mainly been staff from the DD Council. And that's a little frustrating. I'm trying not to take responsibility for such diminishing attendance but like I said in the past, many times once I get involved the program the program tends to implode on itself is that pathetic or what? So now I'm the Grim Reaper of the bookclub.

In fact, I really like the bookclub I really believe in the concept and power of reading. It really did not take me much to get behind this program. I was sore drafted into this position from my boss or my former boss who is the director of the DD Council here in Salt Lake. She's renowned for starting these kind projects and then spinning the projects off to cable folk. Where I did necessarily get stuck with running the program, thank goodness, I did feel a responsibility in helping keeping the project going. It's been kind of difficult trying to figure out just what I'm supposed be doing in this program since I'm not really affiliated technically with the DD Council anymore nor am I a member of the bookclub as a participant (as I see it). Maybe that's the joke is that I am one of the participants even though I see myself as not being developmentally disabled as the other participants. However, I am developmentally disabled by definition of the law because I had my major disability before the age of 18 are whatever that cutoff date is. So I could technically be an actual member of the group but boy I sure have a immediate step back from that particular level of involvement. That's just my silly pride. I liked reading with the guys in fact I'm so glad that I'm not necessarily in the more supervisory functions of the group. I'm sure those folks think I'm just another one of the DD folks that got sucked into reading every Thursday afternoon come rain or shine…

No comments: