Saturday, April 25, 2020

Blink of an Eye



As with most things at this point in my life I'm somewhat conflicted regarding my allegiance to the school I graduated from Borah high school. Conflicted, I say because as the dedicated reader of this blog is well aware I was born and bred to go to Boise high school the crosstown rival. I cannot state how committed I was to Boise High. Five of my siblings older than me graduated from Boise High, all the kids that I went to junior high school with pretty much fed into Boise high as well. In grade school (though I didn't really think it through half of the student body went to Boise high and the other half went to Borah). It took me forever to figure that last bit out. But because I went and broke my neck I was condemned/as well as blessed To have attended Borah high school. To make matters worse because of the accident and the time I spent in the hospital then and rehabilitation I lost a year. I should have graduated with the class of 1969 alas that did not happen but I was able to sneak out with the class of 1970.

Interesting, this week I was contacted by an old friend of mine from junior high Biz Peterson. I think I've talked about this project I'm doing right now of scanning all my photos onto my hard drive which is allowed me to ponder all the kids to put together a photo album for me during that time. When I left ninth-grade that spring I fully anticipated hooking up with all these people the following fall at Boise high well , that did not happen. I lost contact with my friends for the next 20/30 years. It was so cool Biz said I should come to the 69 graduation. That really made you feel accepted and I needed that. I was surprised how good that maybe feel.

I was totally welcomed by the kids in my class at Borah when I started. Borah high was built in the late 50s or early 60s and was modern built on one level whereas Boise high built around 1910 was built on the old University campus concept with multiple buildings and multilevel buildings long before elevators were considered for school or university settings. Boise school district made the decision of what high school I had to attend. Once I got over my silly pride of not being a Boise Brave I fit in as well as I could, and a wheelchair in a class of 1200 students. My parents, I believe are just glad that I finished high school at all. I did not realize I had a choice. The other two friends of mine that I went to rehabilitation with did not graduate high school (well Gino eventually got his GED and I think graduated from college) but if you are a spinal cord injured adolescent in those days graduation wasn't big on your list I guess. My mom and dad didn't let me have a choice I was going to school and I was going to graduate and then I was going to college.

Wish I could say it was easy doing this high school thing. I wish I'd done better I wish I had had better skills academically and supports. It's hard going to a school you are raised to hate as well as being miles from your home. But somehow I got through. Hope I didn't get a sympathy diploma they really wouldn't surprise me that I got it just the same and that got me into college and university. I'm glad someone, my mother no doubt, had the wherewithal to grab a picture before graduation. This was taken in the yard of our farm. Notice, there's a great shot of table rock over my shoulder. That really was a great night and I did feel special for a little bit…

No comments: