Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Flash Back



Downtown, by Petula Clark


I'm actually quite pleased with myself with the progress I making on the image scan project I'm doing with all my photographs. However, I'm having the same problem I have when I try to arrange my small but interesting library of books is that I wander into one volume after another and sort of lose Track of what my end goal is which is arranging my books. The same is happening now with photographs as I wander through the different images each sparks different historical references in my brain and soon I'm off on tangents carried back to other points in time where there is no social distancing.

The image I have chosen at the top of this posting stopped me in my tracks today when I was going through images. This image was taken just a few weeks before the accident which so remarkably changed my life in 1966. In the image my brother and his wife who would been visiting from North Carolina for a week or so was packing up getting ready for the return trip. The cars parked in front of our house on our little farm their in Boise, Idaho. Notice my hair, the closest thing to a Beatle haircut that I could manage at that point in time. Physically I was probably at the high point of my life. I was ready to start high school, is going to work out in gymnastics and of course wrestle which I did fairly well. Wrestling would be totally different on the high school level but I'm sure I would've done all right. I was pretty confident as any teenage boy is. I kind of had a girlfriend, I had a motorbike and a license to drive as well as a method of starting my older brother's bike (which is what got me in all the problem of disability). I was even starting my first real job I was on top of the world. This image I think captures this point better than any of the things my life. This image shows the yard I had to mow every week on Saturday. The bushes on the other side of the swing set by the lilac bushes I wrote about last week. On the other side of those bushes is one of the fields of hay that we raised for cattle we milked and raised for meat. The whole hay gathering process is quite a task and we did a 3 to 4 times a year over the summer months.”Downtown” the song by Petula Clark was on the radio and made me feel good every time I heard it as it does now.

Today I processed between 10 and 20 images over the course of the day. I know it's not a lot but it is kind of slow going because when I scan one the images on to the hard drive I have to edit each photo to make sure I take off all them edges that takes a bit of time. The process is slow if it's going to be done right. Then I usually knock off around three afternoon because my new shows start at that point time on NPR. So between NPR local and national news on the TV and making dinner that's usually the end of my days progress on the photo project. So far however I'm keeping my focus and because of social distancing there's nothing else going on in my life so I'm glad to have something to do and well the part of the record of my existence…





No comments: