Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Disability Strong



I think this post is going to be kind of a dip into fantasy thinking but it's one I like to play with every once in a while which is the inherent strength of people with disabilities and that is almost a contradiction in terms in some ways about I said I like dabbling in fiction. As we continue the cycle through this pandemic, this national crisis it's easy to get terrified at least for me it's easy to get terrified then I sort a step back (rollback) and shift things into perspective. Hell, the stress, the economic stress which is being caused by Covid 19 In many ways is what people with disabilities are having to contend with all the time. People disabilities it seems by the general nature are usually people who are low income. Come the first of the month there always sweating how to get a pay the rent? How are they going to keep the lights on? Are they going to go to the doctor? And on and on. When I was employed with the independent living Center one of my job duties was to be the housing coordinator for the center which meant that I often had to work with people with disabilities in crisis situations (which is all the time) and figure out how they were going to pay for the coming rent. This was unsettling work that I never got used to it always worried about but people tend to survive I think as a collective this is one of our strongest points, too bad world. Some people with disabilities work or used to work, have transportation their own vehicles for example, or used to but for the most part people disabilities just have to figure it out.

I'm trying not to be uncaring and I do care I care a lot but still almost entertaining to watch these masses of able-bodied folk running around being terrified of what's going to happen to them because of the virus. I'm not talking about the ones who are ill and who are on deaths doorstep are inside the death house already but those who are out of work and facing rent, car payments medical payments etc. etc. And it looks like to the most part the Fed's go to save their butts (and I'm thankful for that) they are getting the payment into their checking accounts, it sounds like at least some sort of rent protection our house payment protection, and everybody's being “gung ho” on helping everybody get past this nastyTime. I really am impressed at the length the electorate will go to ease the stress and pain on the voters. The sure don't work that hard for we people at disabilities.

Disability strong, I'd like to think I made this term up but I doubt that I have. I'm sure some enterprising self-promoting para or disability equipment marketer has coined the term in some sleek and sexy marketing campaign. But if I were to do such a campaign regarding folks with disabilities coping and surviving every day regardless of Covid 19, earthquakes and Meridian Idaho and the collapse of civilization as we know it I would certainly use “Disability Strong” probably exemplifying how people with disabilities continue to stick around because for us everyday's a crisis…

No comments: