Monday, April 06, 2020

Just Dance!



I don't know if I could say I love to dance but I can say I really like the dance. When I was growing up dancing generally was not cool if you were a guy. If you're a guy like to dance back then you're a little suspect at least that's how I remember. But secretly I liked rhythm and that he call moving to rhythm dance then I think I liked dance. Of course, dance to not become cool I would say until the early 60s is not the late 60s but the advent of West Side Story Certainly increased the idea that one could dance and still be cool. I think it was 1958 or 59, I was in the fifth grade at Campus School and somehow (I'm sure was my mother and her influence) I got enrolled in and after school dance class offered byArthur B Murray dance organization. I'm surprised my mother enrolled me in the dance class but it was kind of fun basic ballroom dancing. Waltz, foxtrot, bossa nova and even the twist. One night a week for one hour after school I learned to dance. I wish I could say it was one of those things that made all the difference in my world but it did not but it was kind of nice especially part of being paired up with a girl and doing something with music. I think more than anything else that dance class did for me was to make me at least unafraid to grab a girl by the hand and head up the dance floor. Of course, all the dance classes in the world would not cure and adolescence fear of rejection but that's a whole other blog for a whole another time. And it's not like I'm going to do the foxtrot are a four step box waltz when asked slow danced it was just pull her close And move around the room to the music.

It was not until after my accident (1966) when I was exposed to real dance again I was in high school, Borah high and for some reason all the guys at the seminary table (the place for all of us kids who had early-morning seminary would sit before class) got parts in West Side Story And I would start listening to them every day is a memorized, and talked about the rehearsals and then finally the play itself. I think that was the first time I really missed being able-bodied up until then (this was like almost 4 years after my accident) there is too much happening in my life rehabilitation, adolescents interrupted then started again and adjustment to really focus on the little things like wrestling, running, Skydiving and dancing. However, ever since working with the play and the guys at high school alloys wondered why there hasn't been some kind of dance program for folks in chairs. Not so much anymore but when I was in my manual chair I love to dance to the music, usually by myself of course, but give me a flat surface like concrete or wood or tile And tires pumped up as hard as they will go and then some good backbeat music for me anyway. There are others, in chairs, Actually do dance to softer music almost ballet type and I appreciate that too. Nice to move to the rhythm no matter what.

In fact I think I'll make a commitment to myself. Maybe, worked to get back in my manual chair by some hard surface and do a little bit rock 'n roll way that good old rock 'n roll.

No comments: