Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dirty Money




Luckily, I'm not far from my market and there's a fast food joint across the street actually, and Arctic Circle for what that's worth. Not real impressed with their menu but it is fast food and sometimes you just want to be irresponsible and enjoy something greasy, salty and not necessarily good for you sometimes you just want to celebrate being alive. I was going through a little bit of need to celebrate the end of a week Friday evening so I ventured across the street for some tater tots. Arctic Circle exit does a good job on her tater tots if you ask me – – even if they didn't tell you drowned tots in ketchup and come with a fairly edible meal.

I just been the market ahead everything in my little basket that I carry with me now to the market. I found out last week this market no longer allows private bags you know those trendy little our big bags which were common for weeks ago. In fact markets and shopping places often rewarded shoppers for bringing in their own bags as they are trying to get away from those the only plastic bags that are ubiquitous. I was shocked to weeks ago when I produced my bag and I was informed that they no longer allowed such devices because they were “dirty”. I had been in the market so few times not to realize that due to the virus things are changing in one of those things were no more personal bags, back to plastic unless you bring it a basket like I've got. I got 20 extra dollars when I paid for my groceries. I'm trying to build up my cash supply. It just seems to make sense in these bizarre times the least so I thought. Try surprised to see that already had what looked like 20 or $30 in my wallet already. Like I said I'm really not using or getting into my wallet very much these days.

I find it so weird places like Arctic Circle, which are still open, have their doors locked you can only order either through calling ahead of time in placing your order are going through the drive-through which I've done in the past just as a lark especially late night when they close their walk-in part of their operation. So dutifully I got in line right behind some kind of hybrid wagon I was afraid it was going to take a while but surprisingly the orders went pretty fast if one I came up to the window they asked if I was going to charge or use my debit card. Oddly, one of the reasons I got cash was to spend on my night out going through the drive through. It was just easier to pull my card out and zip zip then I noticed a sign in the window which said “we no longer accept cash”. I couldn't believe it and I still don't believe it but at that point in time in the afternoon I was not about to argue the whole concept of legal tender in the US government. Actually I was unsure, I always heard that merchants could not refuse “legal tender”. But now in this time of quarantine who knows what's going on and had not heard the whole thing about no longer taking cash. I guess the virus could live on cash but it seems to me it can live just as easily on plastic. I've kind of wondered if part of this whole social distancing is been an excuse to tie up a lot of loose ends like senior citizens, people disabilities and going to a cashless economy. I don't want to be the paranoid one but sometimes things look a certain way you think?…

No comments: