Friday, April 24, 2020

Cousins



One of the things I miss most at this point in my life is my relationship with my cousins. Cousins: that variety of relative closest to brother or sister whom, usually you don't live with, but would if you had the chance when you're a child. I never knew my cousins on my father's side very closely, not like the relationship I had with my mother's sister's kids. It was a geographical thing all my dad's people lived in Canada which is another story entirely. My moms sisters lived right there in Boise with us so we had close access to my cousins. And I hate to have to qualify but remember these are adopted cousins. I was fortunate to be adopted in this family from before my birth which again is another story almost book length I'm sure.

Growing up, it seemed my cousins are always there, their mothers would come over and visit with my mother and we were left for hours it seemed like the we would rome around the house in the yard and just hang out. Later on as everyone grew older and the cousins moved further and further away it seemed we only got together on major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas and usually Fourth of July are probably more to the fact 24th of July Or Pioneer day. Major events in our families calendar. Later on, the cousins grew even further apart as everyone seemed to age especially parents. Then the only things that seem to get everyone together where funerals of the Fountainhead's months the grandparents are gone so are the cousins . Some went to college, some got married and some just drifted away. However now with all the social technology which is available I've made some efforts at outreach and at least have been able to contact some of these folks. It's one of those things I have to be careful about. I don't think my cousins have the same affectionate memories of our youth as I do. The occasionally like to be remembered when I reach out and send them a text, email or phone call. They seem excited we talk about meeting up in getting together. I have one cousin who I really like who lives not far from here actually in North Salt Lake maybe closer to Layton. He's retired of course obviously make decent money doing better than I did for the financial standpoint. I've reached out a couple times almost begging to get together but nothing's happened yet. I understand people are busy with their lives but still I love to get together and hash out memories and feelings gone by.

The grandparents are gone now especially my mom who was a major driver in family functions and get-togethers. I'm afraid this family of mine is slowly disintegrating and that's okay I guess after all I was just an add-on somebody welcomed into the family through some weird sets of circumstances. That's what makes this family to me even more special. They didn't have to accept me like most families you're born into. They just let me blend in along with the rest of my brothers and sisters for whatever reasons my mother had adopted us and now were all family. I have another family that I don't know that I just have found in the last couple years. This is kind of weird but the blood family kind of scares me and it's like I had no choice boom there I was. I wonder what kind of cousins I would've had had my mother not given me up to the family I love.



No comments: