Friday, April 10, 2020

OT And Me



In trying to be responsible citizen of this planet I'm trying to comply with the whole concept of social distancing. I'm seriously cutting back on the amount of travel I'm doing especially as the weather turns absolutely beautiful with the advent of true spring. Because I am not as mobile as usual and the meetings are no longer there as are the bus trips gone. I'm having to rely on being much more creative in my blog entries. This means to some degree going back into my history. Some like the “way back machine” for me anyway.

I think I mentioned once or twice my new respect for occupational therapy in the life of a person with a significant disability. By the time I got to the Elks Rehabilitation Center in the late fall of 1966 I was beginning to stabilize as far as a person of the disability. All my wounds it pretty much healed, with the exception of my spinal cord injury which basically never would, I was sitting up pretty well without passing out of throwing up or anything like that. I was definitely ready to begin my rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is kind of like being in school the concept is to provide the individual with rehabilitation classes as well as continued healing and adjustment to be a person with some major paralysis. Since physical therapy is a professional occupation professionals work eight hours a day so my rehab was a hours a day more or less Monday through Friday. Had six or seven classes throughout the day, that's what they call them classes, PT of course, mat class, rickshaw, resistant pulleys, standing board, and occupational therapy. Occupational therapy is a discipline of vocational therapy I guess. I really wasn't sure what it was supposed to do and because of that I never gotten a very good or healthy respect for the discipline. All I knew was that at 2:30 PM I would have the last class of my day which was OT (occupational therapy). I would be shoveled off to the side section of the building. It could not call OT a room it was a good-sized area even larger than physical therapy. They had a number of work tables with all kinds of tools and such. They had a room that look like an apartment with couch table working stove sink etc. the unit had a mockup car that I suppose people can actually learn driving skills (I never did) it seems part of my time was spent with electric typewriter writing which I love to do with as having to learn to do this with pegs (pencils attached to my hands usually some sort of glove device) and then type on a Selectric typewriter for 45 minutes. This is okay for day one day to the got boring really quickly. The OT, and interesting young woman reminded me in later years of Terry Gross, I couldn't really figure out what she did except try to keep me busy. She was nothing like OT's I would associate with later in my life. She finally settled down to a leather project like something you would pick up a Tandy craft. This was a session where I had a mallet and various tools for working with leather. I assume similar to those projects were to get this triple leather and end up making a belt out of it. In my creative moments and an effort to keep the occupational therapist happy and off my back I developed a monogram of my initials MLS which I spent at least four months pounding down to a diamond shaped piece of Leather about six or 8 inches long. I think I still have that piece of work I've driven around for the last 50 years. It's like one of things your kids give you for a gift on Father's Day You don't know quite what it is but you don't know how to get rid of it without hurting feelings so you hold onto it for eternity or until they carry you away clean out your desk.

This last experience I had with occupational therapy for my last neck operation has been totally different from learning how to swallow the learning to get around. Since I've pretty much learned to survive his past 50 or 60 years there was the whole lot they could teach me except how to bond with my therapists and that itself is worth all my time. I see now what OT does it so much bigger than I thought or new…

No comments: