Monday, February 22, 2021

Happy Birthday Dad!


 https://meadowlarksmind.blogspot.com/2006/12/heat.html


A couple of days ago my Was my dad's birthday would been something like 110 or 111 which is kind of hard to believe. It's always hard to see your parents as human beings people just like us are like me anyway. Maybe, as I get older I get to see more and more of his life to my eyes and understand a lot more the things that he did or didn't do. My dad was always a worker to my dismay. Didn't have fun like most people always that's how I saw it. Well, he like to fish I think and I think he sort of like the hunt but we didn't do very much of it we never had much time because he was always working. This is just as well because out of hated to go hunting anymore than I had to. I kind of deep down didn't think my dad liked to kill beasts. We had hunting equipment in the house just because I doubt inherited a lot of stuff from his uncle. Uncle George was a great hunter, I think technically uncle George's my great uncle. We have a couple pictures of him. I of course never knew him. I do wish I'd gotten to know a lot more of my dad's people . They were really interesting folk. A little exposure I did have to my dads folks and family I was small and didn't know what questions to ask or how to ask them.


My dad was from the old part of the century. He was too young for the first world war and to old for the second world war. Or maybe he was an essential worker for the second world war and didn't have to fight. Anyway he was never in the service. He threshed wheat during the depression following the harvest around the central states all the way north to Canada where his people eventually moved. He had great stories and even had friends scattered around Boise that had similar stories in was great entertainment when ever they would get together and began remembering the old days. I did not think I would ever be like that but of course I am and am always glad to find somebody that I spent part of my days with and talk about the old days just like a Bruce Springsteen's song.


Dad eventually wound up in Boise and ended up at a place called Boise Heating and Equipment basically a furnace company. He kept peoples homes heated in the winter and cool in the summer. He also worked on industrial sites like buildings maintain the big air conditioner systems and heating units. Dad worked for Boise Heating For at least 27 years which I thought was a long time. We used to spend a lot of time at the “shop” the building that my dad worked out of. We were often there on Saturdays knocking apart wooden crates and taking the wood home to either build with our cut up in use for fuel and heat. If you search for “heat” Or go to , you should find a a blog posting I did 10 or 12 years ago were almost 20 years ago holy cow.This describes harvesting lumber from the shop on Saturdays.


Yep, there's a lot of things I've asked my dad now especially as I get closer to my “stepping off” time but I should be looking for there's anything I can do to be more ready. I think I'm just in transition when you for spring and not yet tired of winter…


No comments: