Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Meeting, Yes!



I'm not sure what I've got myself into. I mean I kind of was already there after all I been a member of this board for decades literally. But after all it's Tuesday morning and just perform I called Assist, Inc. in hopes of visiting with the director to find out if they were going to have a meeting of the advisory board to adjudicate applications for the Emergency Home Repair program. We really haven't had a meeting since before Christmas before my buddy David retired from the program. I'm sure Assist, Inc. has been doing some emergency repair but technically, according to the grant, each application must be adjudicated. I mean after all I'm totally aware that the work will be done regardless of what this volunteer board does but it just feels good to called see if the going to have a meeting. I really haven't been keeping up, kind of figuring that when Jason, Assist director fill the position we will be contacted one where the other.


So, as I indicated, I made the call around 9:30 AM fully expecting to speak withJason Wheeler the director of Assist. When I identified who I was I was put on hold and then picked up a few seconds later by someone with a name Andreas who is the new hire to coordinate the Emergency Home Repair program. Andrea's sounds like a nice guy know it forward to working with him. He seemed really appreciative of my call and follow-up. I have started up in enough jobs to know the chaos and the feeling of loss of control a person can have. So many times I wished somebody were called and said hey what can I do to help you transition? I was a bit surprised when he picked up the ball immediately and gave me an assignment which is basically to put together the next meeting of the EHR Citizen advisory board. Undressed quickly dumped the phone numbers of the board members on me and indicated he'd look forward to the meeting at 11 o'clock on the 23rd! Told excited I am not sure about how well I'll pull this rabbit out of the hat of the least I'm grabbing for the ears and willing to give them a good yank.


So at this point in time where three characters on this board myself, Carolyn, Margaret and Mary. Seriously Carolyn is the youngest of the group but she also seems to have the most energy. I made calls to each of the numbers I was given the made contact with no one left messages on two machines and Mary's phone number does not seem to work. I'm a little worried because Mary's in her 90s, spry for the 90s but I hope she still around. I really think one of the first objectives of the group when we do get together with Andrea's and possibly Jason is to figure out how to for the groupTo cultivate a few new members of the group. This should be fairly easy duty. I was most impressed because I thought sure Endres was want to do the first couple meetings as zoom type virtual meetings But now he wants a full face-to-face in the flesh, around the table meeting and I'm excited. I'm about ready to begin my next round of calls. Hopefully I'll get lucky and the next week and make contact with everybody even Mary Allen if I'm really lucky bottom line it really feels good to be doing something again in the volunteer realm…

No comments: