Monday, February 08, 2021

Sealing The Deal

 

Affinity, across State street, Street I had to cross


I knew it was going to be a busy Monday from the onset. I could almost bet on all the days my home health person Melanie provides my service to smooth the day she will experience trauma of one sort or another be late for my morning process. That's okay I was not upset. She's just a poor soul like the rest of us getting by one day at a time, Melanie has a whole mess on her plate. I'm just glad I don't have her family. Anyway, today is my schedule appointment with my old friend Janice from Independent Living Ctr., Janice is the assistive technology coordinator which means she is everything assistive technology in this case she adjudicates who qualifies for money for assistive technology in my case the lift.We set the meeting for 11 AM. I was reasonably confident that Monday morning shower in such would go as usual. Usually, Melanie gets her around 8:30 AM if I'm lucky sometimes a little earlier but that's very rare and of course not today. We can usually do what I have to get done in 45 minutes to an hour. So I figure 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM that should give me 90 minutes to get to the independent living Center which be more than enough.


Melanie was about 20 minutes late which is okay I was able to build that in to the formula. It's weird that Melanie does not help me as much as my other attendants have. She gets out of here as fast as she can I try to us help her with that by dressing myself. Today I just did not have the luxury of time to do so also I had her slip my shorts on and nothing else and she was gone which was enough to make up for the late timing. I was still little concerned about making my connections but son of a gun I did from the bus to the train to the role from the train station to the IL. I got there was 30 minutes to spare cannot believe it. Surprisingly I quite enjoyed the time with Janice. We sat down went through my needs and went to the process of filling out the paperwork. The lift will be nice, it will be brand-new under warranty with the sling that will fit perfectly. I spent time, following the paperwork with my old boss, Deb with the very nice visit. However I still have one more stop to make and that was actually going to the vendor who has “won” the bid to provide the equipment Sit down with those people go over the equipment which was being provided to make sure I get exactly what I need. Luckily for me is a couple blocks away from independent living Center but it's a crossed State Street which is a major street in Salt Lake City actually the major street in Salt Lake City. I wasn't sure what the place was but I worked my way up to State Street and the Intel living Center is right in the middle of the block. For those who do not know Salt Lake City has huge blocks. As I looked across the street trying to find this business I spotted the place of course directly across from where I was sitting in the middle of the block meaning that a foreign across the street I would have to go to the light on either end across safely and the intersection was a long way away. I am really trying to be responsible and follow the laws of the land but today I just couldn't go all the way the end of the block across the street and come all the way back on the other side. So I did the only thing I could do was cross in the middle of the street without any protection which is (I know) kind of stupid. I watch the traffic flow for some time before I finally made the decision pushed my chair as quickly as I could across the middle of the street and luckily there is no traffic coming the opposite direction across the street living for a second the old glory days living on theEdge.


Affinity is the name of the organization/business that won the bid for my lift. I met with the salesperson/owner commitment over the contract and I added a few things like a scale to measure my weight. I'm sure they'll include that. Can't believe how easy the whole thing's been so far. As long as there's no sucker punch I think I'm getting a new lift and I'm pretty excited…



No comments: