Saturday, September 11, 2021

Dollar Tree And Me

 




I really tried to push myself into getting out and doing something this Saturday but woke up to clouds of possible storms but I guess that was just enough to put me off going out of hopping on a bus going to downtown Salt Lake for the annual Greek Festival or up to the fairgrounds for the Utah State Fair. To be honest I have never gone to the Greek Festival even though for some five years or longer my office was just a few blocks from where they would set up the festival each year. I for some reason didn't see the attraction to Greek dancing and Greek food. This year however this seems somewhat enticing and it would give me something to tell people next week that I've done something over the weekend. In the same vein I have these nostalgic/romantic feelings about attending the State Fair. And it seems anytime that I've gone with her with a group from my work or with my family is very dreadful experience. Just wandering around aimlessly. I suppose I could enjoy the cattle barns or the various competitions in the sheds and stuff (I don't think I'm saying that right but you know where they have the 4-H competition with animals and things in the exhibition sheds or buildings). Since I don't use any of the rides of the whole part of the fair out of my out of my domain and it seems that there are big electrical cords everywhere but really makes ruling over them even in power chair uncomfortable. Luckily the storms came up and there is actually rain. This was enough for me to put off the experiences. I did, however manage to go across the street and pick up a few things I felt I needed that I could not wait till Monday for especially bananas. I did get caught in one storm on the way which forced me back to the sun came out and then no problem.


I noticed last week for the first time there are signs posted on a portion of the market that was left when the fresh market was taken over by Macy's. I wanted to make sure What I had read on the building was accurate. And sure enough signs are still up that Dollar Tree was moving into that space. Dollar Tree! Less than a block away from my apartment? I cannot believe it. Maybe I'm exposing my blue-collar roots but I just love the whole “dollar” store concept. Right now my closest dollar type store is a number of blocks south at 5400 South Redwood Rd. It's a fast trip on the bus and a real bone rattler if I make the trip In my power chair but I can do it. It's a long trip home if I have a whole bunch of stuff from the dollar store. Not so anymore! I know a lot of the stuff at the dollar stores just junk, cheap plastic crap. I don't know if this Dollars Tree will have the food items the others carry like milk and particularly crackers, designer crackers which I really enjoyed with cheese and coal cuts. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting screwed but I love the concept that everything cost a dollar it blows my mind that there will be a Dollar Tree so close. It doesn't say when they'll be open to all bets before Thanksgiving. Nice to have something to look forward to…

No comments: