Thursday, September 09, 2021

Nice To Know They Are There

 


One of the more annoying issues I'm experiencing with my power chair, my new power chair, is this phenomenon to where I feel like I'm always sliding out of the chair. I think I know the reason for this but I can't really say for sure that one of the reasons I am looking forward to meeting with my physical therapists and seeking technician. I think I'm just sitting weird in this chair. Granted, I have a big belly I'm fully aware of this believe me but that can't be the whole reason. I'm certainly willing to take my part of responsibility. I find myself many times during the day having to stop either my forward mobility are my mobility in general. Tilt my chair back to the point that gravity is having an impact allow me to trigger a spasm that allow me to stiffen my legs and push myself up to the point were my butt is off the cushion that can use my left hand to mush some of the gel pads over to where there in front of my butt which interns let me sit more upright in my chair. When I didn't have to do this all the time I would adjust myself always in the bathroom are basically away from people in general. Now however I've given up on trying to be somewhat modest my actions and will just readjust myself number little conversation with the person or as I traveled to and fro wherever I go. I'm having to do this procedure so often anymore I kind of loose track of format or what I'm doing. Yesterday for example I was in my chair and I can't remember exactly where I was . I really didn't go anywhere so I had to be around here somewhere but anyway, I was on the sidewalk and I leaned my chair back brought up the front in started doing my “bridge” arching back routine. A fire engine was passing when all of a sudden the fire engine stopped and turned on its red lights in the fire guys started getting out of the engine and rapidly come toward me. I guess the guy in charge shouts at me “Are you okay?!” I figured that was going to happen but it's also a bit shocking. I shot back, “Yes I'm fine! I'm just repositioning myself.” After which the fire guy smiles holds up a thumb in the big red truck returns to its track to Darla's Doughnut shop.


I suppose there was a time when they encounter like this used to freak me out for whatever reason now however, don't really care. I appreciate the concern and their willingness to assist me if I should need so – – and really this does put me at a certain level of peace of mind. There was a time when I do anything to avoid intervention from Emergency response team type professionals. Call me cynical but I didn't believe the little model of “to serve and protect” really meant what it said. Well, I wiggled myself back up into a halfway sitting position in my chair and went to the boys as they left glad they were there and more to the point glad that I did not need them at least this time…

No comments: