Monday, September 27, 2021

Pass Through


You know it's really great to be just a block away from the Village Inn or my other restaurant Dee's. A place to go at a moments notice to have a fast dinner or just drink coffee and visit with an old friend. I'm just back from the latter. Around five PM I got a call from my old boss/supervisor Dave. Remember Dave? He's the ex-pat living in Mexico just over the border. He's been up in Idaho for the past three weeks attending to family business and enjoying a high school reunion which should've been last year but because of Covid had been put off to this year. David was calling to tell me that you'd be in the Salt Lake area around 6:38 PM and should we get together? I just finished a BLT so I didn't really feel like dinner but we wanted to do a fast visit. They wanted to get to a city in Nevada to spend the night before going on to California/Mexico tomorrow.


I think I made David feel a little weird because all I was having was coffee. I thought about having pie but just couldn't bring myself to eat anymore tonight after the BLT. I've been up since 3:15 AM I don't know why I was up so early but I couldn't get back to sleep but I've gotten through the day okay but now my eyes are getting pretty heavy feeling a little bit like sandpaper. It'skind of fun though being at the Village Inn in the evening. It's a much more grown up feeling then having lunch. The staff is still the same the server who always attends to our writing group service she was just as nice as ever. I felt like I was in a movie script somehow. Two old guys meeting up at the local diner talk about the twists and turns of their life especially during this time of Covid and weird politics. David politely asked about how my life was going and how I was doing. Mine of course was a fast answer: I'm doing fine everything's great and that's about it. Whereas David had been super busy for three weeks not only the reunion but visiting lots of people he hadn't seen for some time. He truly was having an adventure but actually his whole life at this point is an adventure. The best story Dave had to tell was losing the back bumper off of his vehicle he didn't even know it until about two hours later. He backed into a pole the night before and I just loosened up the bumper and so it fell off as he was driving on interstate. It was quite an adventure. Of course it's the back bumper to bumper that houses the vehicle's license plate so you got a have it. He stopped at the Highway Patrol and reported the incident and was hoping that they would be able throw the bumper and the back of their vehicle and bring it down to him but that was a no go. I was surprised to huge bumper. He finally had to call a wrecking company sent a truck out and picked up the bumper and then had one of his kids reinstall the bumper on to his vehicle. The cost of 100 bucks which I guess is not that bad of a deal could've been so much worse. I thought the story was interesting I would never have known what to do in a situation like that. What always fascinates me is that what I think is a unique and one-time occurrence is relatively commonplace for the people who have to do with them on a regular basis.


David ordered a breakfast of course a spinach omelette, which looked pretty good, I was surprised with the gusto he attacked his breakfast/dinner. I we should been hungry. I turned them loose little later with a brand-new cup of coffee and said our goodbyes and the parking lot wishing each other safe travels and cautions against the Covid in hopes the see each other again soon at the Village In…


No comments: