Tuesday, September 14, 2021

We Were Once Lions

 



It's been one of those days where I've been kind of lost in thought and reminiscing a great deal about my high school years. This last weekend was my high school graduating classes 50 and 51st year reunion. The reunion should have happened last year but because of Covid the event was canceled until this year. Had I lived in Boise I don't know if I would've gone to the reunion are not. I may have but I'm still somewhat confused as to my high school allegiance. The dedicated reader knows that because of the spinal cord injury I received in the summer of my freshman/sophomore year, I get confused but over the summer before I was to start high school I had the wreck. I was supposed to go to Boise high school as far as my school boundary goes. But because I sustained spinal cord injury and could not walk therefore using a wheelchair for mobility I was “sentenced” to do my time at Borah High School The crosstown rival. Not only that was because I lost a year while in rehabilitation I missed year school. I should have graduated in 1969. I found it accepted Borah high as my high school as well as the classic 1970 as my graduation group. And I guess what really threw me into my reminiscing funk was that of course all the images from events regarding the reunion have begun posting online. Really is interesting to see those folks. I did it right there did you see that I said “those folks”. I'll bet you had I gone to Boise high – – somehow – – I would've use the same verbiage.


One of my good friends through those high school years was a buddy named David Rogers. We are part of a group that went early-morning seminary – – a religious education program by the LDS church that adolescents are expected to attend from ninth grade to graduation of high school – – after the morning class we would sit in early study hall before the bell rang for classes to begin. Later on we even were roommates which is another post entirely. Anyway, sometime this weekend I texted my friend asking if he had attended any of the reunion activities. I got a resounding “NO!”. David indicated if I had attended then perhaps he would've attended as well. He did not come right out and say it but I got the impression there is really no enduring wanted to see. I don't necessarily understand that but I kind of do. As I scrolled through the images from the reunion I realize these are the same people who were on most of the images in any the yearbooks for my high school years. Not that these were necessarily the “pretty people” of high school but there for sure the ones in drill team, pep, all associated sports etc. These are the overachievers. I was impressed even now how nice these guys looked how their cothes. I would probably look kind of dumpy compared to these guys. I don't know if that's what David felt but I would not be surprised. I've certainly not accomplished with some of these folks have. Had I been a Boise and had I elected to go to the reunion I would've probably called David and arranged to go with him and actresses working man as we endured the country club or wherever the reunion took place. I also believe we would've had a good time regardless of any snubbing were any other social demeaning slights. And I'm really not giving my fellow schoolmates credit. They would probably be great and excited to see both of us. After all were all Borah Lions…

No comments: