Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Move the Damn Hose



a.m.snow for this morning's commute! Posted by Hello

Today’s storm came in last night just as I was leaving work for the train station. The rain was falling but not bad, just a gentle mist. I had my parka and my hat on. I was OK. Directly east of the Delta Center is construction—Larry Miller is building a huge parking facility for his “Dental” center”. I say them but thought I could negotiate them, so it is kinda my fault, but the construction guys had these giant 4-5 inch in diameter water hoses draped across the sidewalk. I was hoping the hoses were empty or low but they were full, I was able to get the front two tires of my power chair over the hose but that was all. I was immobilized right there with the rain failing threatening to turn to snow and my train was about to leave. Of course I could not get anyone to here my whistles, I was right at the entry way to the construction pit and everyone who was working were working in the pit. I struggled and whistled for 15 minutes until a cement truck pulled into the gate. I looked pathetic enough the driver hopped out and gave enough lift to the power chair I was able to get over and on my way. I really was not worried I wouldn’t get out of this problem , and there is always another train; I just was pissed that here was just one more barrier and one I bet I’ll have to deal with for the next year until they finish the construction of this project. I guess I’ll just have to travel to the train stop on the other side of the street. Change is so difficult for us old guys.

1 comment:

Fickle Friend said...

My problem with change is that when ever things start to change, an equal number of things always change for the worst, as for the better.