Saturday, February 19, 2005

Saturday Morning Sears Creep


Wet floor Posted by Hello

Last Saturday not a lot got accomplished because had to wait to wait at home till the Sears guy came out for a fridge repair. We have a mongo side by side with ice maker. The water form the ice maker is plumbed in from a waterline under the house, of course, up through the floor and into the fridge. We noticed water on the floor a couple of weeks ago so we started the process of calling the Sears people, setting up the appointment and having them come out for the repair. The whole process is a pain in the butt but is what you have to do when and if you don't have the hands or the ability to do it yourself. I don't this ability. So, I expect some hassle but I can deal with that to get the item repaired, after all, we purchased this service. So the guy comes out and after a lot of finaggling moved the hue box away from the wall exposing the bac of the machine and sure enough there is a pin hole in the copper tube rising up from the floor. He readily fixed the problem. Before he leaves, I ask him if he would turn the water back on so we can begin making ice again and using the ice. He would not turn the water on citing, a company regulation forbidding Sears folks from going under houses, a pain in th butt and I had to get by son in law to turn the water back` on. I figured if this was the extent of the inconvenience we had to experience getting this issue cleared up this was acceptable. We had ice by Sunday.

Wednesday evening Dianne notices there is water forming under the fridge again. I am pissed and grumble but get on the phone and schedule a man to come out Saturday morning, this Saturday morning do it all again. I am amazed that we were able to get it all scheduled again with no hassle what so ever. I am even more proactive and assertive telling the operator I am in a wheelchair that I have not been able to get under the house to shut off the water the repair guy would have to do this. She said this would be fine.

So today the Sears shows up, a older guy but seems fairly competent. He pulls the fridge away from the wall takes one look at the back and says he cannot do the work.

Reapair Guy
That's copper tubing you have got there

ME
Yeah? So?
Repair Guy

We cannot work on copper tubing. They (sear) won't let us. You are going to have to get a plumber to do that.
ME

What!! What are you talking about? The guy who was here last week did not have an issue with the copper tubing.

Repair Guy

New, guy. Must have been a new guy.(packing up his tools, carefully putting his flashlight between his big wrenches.) We never tough copper tubing. Policy.

ME
(With hope and dismay)
But, you could replace that copper tubing with plastic tubing?!
Repair Guy
(This guy would be in total character if he was chewing on a match stick or a stock of ors) definitively will not let us replace copper tubing with plastic tubing, safety concerns. But, you're going to` have turn off that water. It's going all over the floor.

ME
Yeah, I can't walk I am not blind(hoping to make a point.) Can you at least turn the water off?

Repair Guy

Where's it at ( the shut of) in the basement?

ME

We don't have a basement, just a crawlspace out in the garage.

Repair Guy

Can't do it. Can't go under houses. But you better get that water off.

I realize at this point this guy was “out of there” . Nothing I said or did was going to get anymore work out of this jerk. So now , I have to get the water turned off—I called my son who is coming over to turn off the water. Then I have to get the copper tubing replaced with “ fridge copper tubing”. The Sears guy says, that's what I need, Refrigerator copper tubing. “You can get it at Home Depot.”

It's Saturdays, I 'm siting by my front window typing on my laptop. The sky is a gray and it looks like it's going to snow.

1 comment:

mcgibfried said...

i think they train them to contradict one another as often as possible... those sears guys are worthless!