Friday, February 18, 2005

The Writers Guild


The Guild Posted by Hello
Today is the Writers Guild. The Writers Guild a group of three people, one full fledged writer and two aspiring writers who meet quarterly at a local restaurant to go over their work, socialize a little and break up the monotony of everyday life. Jerry is the real writer, he works for one of the local daily’s. He actually writes and gets paid for writing and he gets things published independently. Jerry has connections. Jerry is, probably, our sole claim to a more public and famous life style. I first met Jerry years ago; he was working with the local Art Access program instructing a writing class. The three of us continue to meet long after the class has dissolved.

Lori is one of the aspiring writers. Lori is such a believer. I respect that of and love that about her. Lori believes in her fellow man and that society can be saved. Lori used to work for the, above mentioned, Art Access program. Lori would make reality of her dreams in the local art world. Lori organized the writing class where I met Jerry, she also was the driving force behind the 2nd West Acting Company. A small acting company made up of folks with disabilities. The acting company evolved from an acting class Lori put together with Art Access. Lori was also the editor of the Art Access journal “Desert Wanderings” a great way to get published. Between Jerry and Lori I have been able to get myself published a number of times.

Then, of course, there’s me, sometimes, writer, playwright and supporter of Lori and thru Lori supporter of the arts. I am the real rough, ruff(?), these other two tolerate me and I appreciate their tolerance. We meet—usually once a quarter. The whole idea is to force ourselves to write, to create to move ourselves ahead. I frighten myself when I don’t have anything written at the time of our lunches: in these cold dark moments I face the possibility that maybe I am not a writer that maybe I am just along for the meal and to pretend I am a writer.

1 comment:

Fickle Friend said...

If your not a writer, than I think that's the worlds loss, more than your own. Some of the best, most original, cognitive-leap type ideas I've heard are yours.