Sunday, February 27, 2005

People just wear me out

Sunday Night--

I never know whether to be depressed or angry at how inaccessible homes are. I mean, I guess was pretty damn lucky in that when I twisted thirty years ago and put in a wheelchair. Our house was on all on one level with one small step going to my parents room: no big deal for me. My dad did what he had to, he built a small ramp to that level; then ripped out the doors to the bathroom and my home was livable and accessible. We did not of visiting much so this was not an issue either. I never really noticed the unvisitable of other peoples home till my kids moved out, got married and no we have to go to their houses for birthdays, Christmas, easter and various dinners throughout the year. I can accept this to a point but what really bothers me are family members who own their homes and have a family member who is in a wheelchair and has to should, visit their homes from time to time and elect never,NEVER, even consider to make their homes accessible—even when this could be done with unrealities ease(no pun intended). I mean, if they have been holding out for the past thirty some years for a miracle then they better wake up and smell the postum, I AM NOT GOING TO WALK ANAGIN IN THIS LIFE TIME! So, when ever I go to visit one of these homes I have to be carried up the front steps and am trapped in the house till I am lifted down at the end of the dinner or the event and if if their place does not have an accessible bathroom I had better have my bottle (affectionately know as the Toxic Waste Vessel (TWV) for short). Why is this??? You would think if they (your able bodied family member) really wanted you to visit them they would at least consider a ramp or something. Then, if you choose not to visit your considered the family grump or isolate. People just wear me out.

1 comment:

Fickle Friend said...

The hardest part about dealing with others, in my experience, is that most people have a very limited world view. To make things worst, some make no effort at all to expand themselves, aka, "walk in another's shoes." Though, in your case they'd have to wheel themself in another's chair, I suppose. I commiserate.
However, rest assured. If I ever buy a house, I'd want you to be as comfortable there, as I would be. Otherwise, I would very much understand why you would be relucant to come visit.