Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Currency of the Aged

I just got off the phone with my mom, my usual Sunday afternoon call. The call is not always on Sunday afternoon, sometimes it the morning of Sunday and sometimes it's even some point on Saturday but there will be a weekend call. I used to try to get over to Joaquin's to visit her and the folks she lives with at least once a month. Many times, when mom was still able to drive I would meet here at a local restaurant where we could visit and spend some time together. I have not been able to do this in the last year. Mom has got to the point that she just does not go out any more. In fact I think she is having more and more difficulty walking or driving. The house she live in is not wheelchair accessible so there is no way of visiting here by myself. There fore I call. If I do not call once a week at least I hear about it the next time I do call. This is not pleasant and so I always manage to call. It's the least I can do.

The call is almost scripted. I always identify myself, this is my joke because I know she will know who I am immediately, but I always identify myself. Then it is “How has your week been?” I am not asking this question as much as I used too because it is always a downer. She is in pain now, pain in her legs and pain of being alone, even though she lives with her sister and brother-in-law. So, now I go to “stage 2” of the conversation, “ Have you heard anything from the family”. This is almost as dangerous as asking how her week has been. Because I will hear about one or two others of the fam the only who call fairly regular. I know that she calls all week long various family checking up on everybody. Immediate, extended and friend. I am amazed as who she calls and th amount of information she has. I think she used to be a spy. Then I interject aspects about my life, the condition of my vehicle, wheelchair(s), Dianne's health, and the status of my family inlaws and grandchild. Then there is the content portion of the call. Something serious usually the something about the other family member. Then the “Goodbye”and have a good week. I don't say I'll call you next weekend. The next weekend call is expected and unless something is major happened the call will be made.

Content of this week's call was that she had only gotten one photo from the family from this summers reunion. I am shocked and the one call she did get was from a cousin! So, I told her I would spread the word, and of course she told me not too. She said everyone is busy=too busy to mil her the photos she covets—images of the last time all her family were together. It's been more then 90 days and she needs her images. At mom's age the images are super important. Senior currency. Family images the wealth of the aged.

No comments: