Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dump trucks and doughnuts







Another cross town meeting so I brought van in again today—The granddaughter spent the night and when she is over she sleep on the couch in the TV room. So rather the do my usual routine i.e. coffee making and breakfast at 6:15, I decided to just get dressed and head on into work. This also means I have almost an hour to kill before I have to be to work. So I decided to stop at Dennys which is round the corner (sort of) from the office. I drove into the office parked the van an motored to Dennys.


The PRESIDENT’S IN TOWN!! In fact he will be speaking in the building directly behind my office at about 10:30 am. So all round my office even at 6:30 am dump trucks were parked in road blocks at the intersections. The scenes reminded me of going to Washington DC March following 911 and the Capitol city still had dump trucks parked everywhere. What a flashback. There were cops everywhere too and boxes of doughnuts open on the hoods of their cars.I wish I had had my camera ready for that scene

The American Legion is also in town ( the main reason Bush is here actually). I sort of forgot about that part but was brought back to my attention when I rolled into Denny’s. Slot hats and colored shirts were everywhere. Fading soilders everywhere trying to wake up with decaffeinated coffee and a Grand slam breakfast. Rosa was my waitress an attractive twenty something Hispanic university student who looked like she had seen one aging veteran too many an it was not even 7:00 a.m. Two Legionares with their wives in two from Wisconsin settled in the booth directly across the aisle from me. The guys had pins all over the so that, one was important cuz his hat was white and he handled it like charged C-4. the wive’s hair though not quite blue was getting there a couple of years and their will be the color of artic glaciers. They must have slept in curlers and toilet paper because the hair was immaculate. Like the good seniors they are the opted for the breakfast Buffet, except for Jonie grayhair, she did not want anything then decided she wanted a muffin. She had to ask the waitress for the muffin at least 5 times. The fifth time Jonie asked about her muffin, Rosa advised her that she was getting to IT, with enough edge to her voice that Jonie verbalized loud for everyone in that section of tables, “WELL, SHE JUST BLEW HER TIP”. A cold front moved in and the tables were quiet for a bit. I was entertained as Jonie finally got her muffin. “It’s hot!” she exclaimed “ that’s probably what took her so long. She left it too long in the micro wave.” Mr. Grayhair just rolled his eyes, he had obviously been through this before. There was also a mild skirmish of caffeinated vs decaffeinated coffee. I paid my bill and motored back to work.

No comments: