Saturday, August 19, 2006

Letting Go

Sometimes you just have to let things go. In order for me to more fully use` my shop, i.e. Garage I have to move my hand bike out. I believe I have spoke of my handbike before. A large three wheeled device, with a seat and a hand crank used for fun, exercise and relaxation. You know like a bike but something a wheelchair guy could use. I must have had this hand bike for about ten years now. I was excited when I first got the bike. I had visions of me racing down my street with the wind running through my hair.

Hand bikes are in the domain of the paraplegics. I should know I really should. I went through heartbreak of trying to use a “para chair” the high performance vehicle used my the paraplegic to look tough and get round. The para chair is light weight and built for speed but is not tough. I had my “Boing” for less then a month before I started tearing, literally tearing the wheelchair apart. I would be dragging butt to this very day if not for my brother Carl. Who figured out how to reinforce the chair so it could survive me. Solid frame light weight and speed does not equal durability. I needed a device more durable then the para chair.

Handbikes are usually built low to the ground. Its a center of gravity thing. This made a lot more sense when I started cranking my chair. But guess what? When you're a quad or a partial quad gravity is not a friend. You fight gravity daily and so getting on to a hand bike is a bit of a struggle and that is essentially “falling “ into the seat but getting out is another work out entirely. I bet on regular handbikes there is at least a one foot lift-maybe more, from the seat to the wheelchair. Still a para thing.

I did find a handbike which was build higher from the ground easier to transfer. The COG (Center of Gravity) is higher true, a little spooky but not bad. I have yet to crash the bike but that is probably why I have not ridden it that much. You know I was going to ride the bike everynight . I didn't.I try to ride the bike at least once a summer. I still have yet to ride this summer. I have to move it out of my garage just to fully use my woodshop. Today, I thought, “this is stupid...it's time, the bike has to go! Everything would be easier.”. I could move it out of the garage and put a tarp over the vehicle to protect it from the elements. The bike has quick release wheels so I could pop off the wheels and hand the bike in the garage. Either choice I would probably ride less then I do now. So what am I writing?I am not riding the bike, the bike is in my way everytime I true to use my garage. Would I be happier with the bike gone. I thought this getting up, showering and even getting dressed. But when I went out and pulled up the garage there the handbike was, red and comfort seat and even the hand pegs. I could ,not let it go...not yet So, I just took off the breaks and rolled it out into the driveway. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fond, fond memories of riding around in that thing.