Saturday, August 26, 2006

Yesterdays Gone

To say say yesterday was bizarre would be an understatement. Bizarre or no I have to say the day held my interest to the end. If you will remember I should have yesterday of as a vacation day, my last vacation day of my 'August Vacation.' But on Thursday I was able to make contact with one of my “funding targets”. He could not meet with me next week but indicated he would make time for me on Friday, yesterday at 10:30 am. I swallowed and happily said”Sure, not a problem.” Since I had a meeting of the Writers Guild I figured I would have well enough time to sell the contact on my program as well as ask for a raise. I decided I would come into work and log a half day...even though I had already electronically submitted my time sheet as taking the whole eight hours as Vacation. I will wrestle with that problem next week.

So, I got into work yesterday later then usual, but still the first one in.` Any way, when my partner got in we had a tiff—one of the first we have had. I could really log this but will hold off for the time being. The stress point we ignited is not going away anytime soon so an sure we will have more. So, anyway. The financial analyst got the charts together and begged my partner to accompany across town to the meeting with the director of our sponsoring agency. I finally got my train and got to the office, a shade late but we had the meeting which went a lot better then I had anticipated. My partner did great and I got by. We got our raise and some great direction. Again, I had figured that the meeting would be 30 minutes tops and I would be out and on my way. Well,the meeting was a great meeting. We got a little off track trying to teach the director how to us his Instant Messenger. I noticed that I was officially late for my lunch with the guild! I quickly ended the “IM” session and headed out. Right there in the lobby was my buddy Jer from newspaper and one of the people in the Guild, “What are you dong here” I was a bit flustered. I enjoyed seeing Jerry but could not figure out what he was doing there at the Department outside the door of MY meeting.“you told me where you were” Jerry quipped back. True I had called Jerry to let him know I might be late and that he and Lori should go on ahead order and I would be there as soon as I could.. I must have told him I was going to the Department—but nowhere did I indicate he should meet me there. But there he was grinning ear to ear. The world slipped into a surreal moment. That was when the weirdest part happened. My partner indicated to me that she was on her way back to the office and that I should have a great weekend. I was harried and and just wanted to get to lunch. I had my stuff gathered into my backpack and turned to my buddy but he was just starring are my partner. I shook him back to reality. He snapped of what ever trance he was in and I had to tell him again, just were this restaurant wasd and i was gone.

In what seemed to be fore ever a train finally and I finally got to the restaurant. I apologized for my tardiness and was pleased to see they had ordered. I was a little put off because they were sitting in the deli section of the place and not in the restaurant proper. I finally got settled and I ordered. No sooner has I ordered then Jerry nonchalantly as possible asked who “ who was the woman you were with at the Department?”

Oh she is my partner at the office, she was helping with the presentation.”

SHE is your partner!!? you work with her?”

'Oh my heck';, I thought to my self Jerry is smitten. I could not believe it. Jerry is even older then I and my partner is the age of my daughter. I was disgusted but amused.

I shook my head and truned my attention to my BLT. This is going to be a weird “Auntumn”.

No comments: