Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Finally a cold front

Finally a cold front has moved in, a little respite to the killer 100 plus temps we have been enduring the entire month of July. Very cool nights in the high 60’s with major cloud over ad occasional thunder bursts. The smell is definitely “Fall”. Even as I write the clouds are dissipating and the low pressure system is moving East. The clouds will subside and the temperatures will begin climbing tomorrow. We’ll be back in the nineties by Wednesday of next week. The Dog Days for sure: but these two days of clouds, cooler temps and rain are bending my thoughts to brisk mornings, warm days and cool evenings of apply juice and fire place discussions on the weekends. I am almost done with summer.

The interview for the new boss is Thursday and Friday of this week. The office is electrified as people begin to speculate on new leaders. I am leaning toward the Interim Director.\, as I have said before I like her I feel I could work for her fairly comfortably and she is a known commodity . I know what I am getting and know I can survive this administration. This is of course if the Interim Director stays the course and does not pull any sucker punches. In fact I just came from my monthly “Survivors lunch”, Of course they all wanted to know who has submitted apps to be considered for the position, who is on the selection committee and who did I want. I of course know nothing. I do not know if this lack of knowledge is by chance or design. I think I frustrate my lunch companions at times. So as to the question of “who do I want” I would have to say the Interim Director, she would be the least traumatic of transitions.

Why is it if you ask a question from “outside the house” you are perceived as the bad guy. I got a call earlier today from some guy with a disability out of State wanting to know more about the services and supports in this state. He wants to relocate here and go to one of our State colleges. I used to be the housing coordinator for an independent Living Center and as such I often worked with consumers who were considering moving into the State. I would help them with finding affordable and access apartments—that was part of the job. I gave him the number for the ILC nearest to the community he wished to live. Well, no sooner had I given this consumer the number and hung up I got an email from the consumer stating he had called and the Center had denied him services. This is very weird and I am currently trying to get some clarification because I do not want to keep sending people to this office if they are not going to be of help. But, I also know that by making this call I am going to be the “ state bad guy”. I just want to get this guy some services when he moves to the state.

No comments: