Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I Could Just Cry

I had to drive today. I had a presentation at the Community Services Council (CSC) and the CSC is smack dab in the middle of a transportation dead zone. The CSC is forever away from any bus routes that I know of and there not a train station close by. I did go to the CSC once , a couple of years, ago in my old power chair. Not only did the trip take for ever to get there, I was constantly crossing railroad tracks and chunky streets the trip darn near beat the snot out of me. The trip also critically drained my battery. I made it but knew I would never elect to take my chair to the building again. Plus the trip by bus seem to take the whole day to accomplish.

I have gotten too spoiled riding the train. I am beginning to hate to driving especially during “rush hours”. I think driving at the rush hour nd having to deal with the rush hour traffic is the reason I tend to leave an hour early for work. I miss a lot of morning traffic getting to my job by 7:00 am. The night commute is different. I do OK I get home , usually safe and sane but just barely and every time I pull into the drive way I marvel, that most people do this every day, that I did it everyday of my adult work life until I lost use of a car decades ago. Granted this was for about a year and was riding the bus but it was public transportation. Then the train came on scene four or five years ago and a couple of years ago I started riding and have been riding ever since.

You see, it is just not the process of driving which wears me out but maybe the WHOLE process of driving. Lifting from my office manual wheelchair back into my powerchair the going out to my van and having to transfer again into the drivers seat and then driving home. I am usually OK by the time I get home and make the lift back into my power chair. I know this sounds trite but that is a lot of lifting for me. If I was taking the train home tonight I would be facing one lift now I am facing at least three more lifts or transfers before I get home. Plus I have to stay a wake driving myself home…I could just cry.

No comments: