Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Magic Kingdom










I found this magical place a few weeks ago. I found the place when I was still in my garden zealot phase. I had found my shovels and hoes and grinder in the garage put a dangerously sharp edge on the buggers and attacked several pieces of ground round the house which had become colonized and infested with nightshade, morning glory and any other noxious weed which could grab a root full of dirt and choke what few plants we had started.

I felt like a character from a Stephen King, hacking away mercilessly at the viral green predators. Like I had received a pulse via my Cell and now I was rampaging. I have to admit when I was finished I felt good. Rich brown dirt peaked up through corpses huge fallen plant with stems as thick as my thumb already welting and shriveling in the evening's heat. The small tomatoes, and cucumbers seemed to stretch out before my eyes claiming their new territory. For more details of this event and images of some of the space liberated check out the August 1st entry to this blog. I shall try to make a link to this spot. Any way as indicated in the August !st account I remembered there is a nursery a half a block from the train-station I take to work. Ne morning I left the house early and was able to tour the place of plants called The West Side Nursery. Time was about 6:30 am and the gates were open so I powered my wheelchair right it.

I can only describe the place as magical! The sky was clear with promise of a hot day but the plants looked as if they had just been sprinkled No one was round that I could see and I there were thousands of wonderfully beautiful plants many I had never before seen—some I had seen before but like in the pages of National Geographic. This was a REAL nursery. I had come to think of nursery s as what is offered Home Depot, Ernst , or the local Market every Spring. In fact that what is what I was hoping for a place where they might have a few vegetable start left that I could scavenge to take home and transplant to my newly cleared ground. ( When I did find someone in the different rows of young trees she just looked at me as if I had three heads. “ It's August!” she said like that should explain everything. They did not have any vegetables plants) the place was brilliantly ordered. Pathways some stoned and others just broad trails between legions of trees and racks of flowers and exotics I had never seen before. I could tell the area I was looking at had once been just a house and yard. The main service areas was a garage, cleaned and filled with garden stuff but mostly empty except for a couple of cash regestures loaded on wagons which I guess was pulled into the house come winter. The front yard was covered with all kinds of plants and the backyard was a jungle. There were a lot of selection on little built up wagons and tables. It appeared to me that just about everything could be readily moved if need be. The place seemed magic to me.

Yesterday on my day off I had scheduled my power chair in to the shop to have it's motors checked. I had to have the chair to the shop by 9:00. Anahka has spent the night and Dianne had to take Aunie to Pre-school. We got back from each of our destinations at the same time. We had not eaten so went to breakfast and later I showed Dianne my find: the Nursery. Dianne called it a sanctuary and I guess it could be. We purchased a Bing Cherry tree, Service Berry bush and a grapevine. I am sure we will return shortly.

No comments: