Sunday, August 20, 2006

Time To Beg

It's almost Labor Day. I could not believe it when I pulled my into the market today and there was a fire engine with the little fire guys out loitering around. I did not think much of the scene at first since the Murray fire guys are quit often round the market when I am there. Then I noticed one of the firemen holding an empty boot then it dawned on me. It's almost telethon season! Te time of year Jerry Lewis begs to the nation. Now, JL has some how talked the Firemen into being extortionists. The hang round the front of markets like Salvation Army bell ringers but looking a lot more tough and harder to say no to. What these guys don't know is to what level they are being used just as the public. I have been fighting this scam for years. Ever since I began working in the Independent Living field and I became aware of how these organizations have duped the public. I know the funds America believes it gives to consumer programs never get there instead being routed to advertising, over-paid directors and upper management staff, and very little funding going to consumers or their families..

I have to admit the ripoff is not as bad as it used to be due to the American being a little more aware of what is going on but not too much. I picketed the JL telethon for a good ten years when I was working for the IL industry I was so committed because I had to try to serve the consumers MDA and others turned away because they said they did not have the funding. I am not putting the finger on JL alone there are a host of other private non profits who actively fund raise with little end result going to consumers but non is as aggressive as MDA and the JL beg-a-throne.

A couple of years ago I almost got into big contractually it was almost five years ago exactly because my new ED( executive director) had been working for a year and was contacted my MDA to be put in “jail”. I was appalled when the ED agreed to take part in the farce. I was shocked beyond belief. I could not believe a professional in the disability field could take part in such an event. I tried to explain to her the gravity of the issue and fax pa she was committing but she never did understand. I know this. I did the best I could. I even considered quitting but never did--”pearls before the swine” and all. If i am going to burn it is going to be something people will understand.

I down loaded from my van with the firemen's eyes on me. I really wanted them to try to corner me and demand money from me. I wanted to unload on them with both barrels but in th end as I was approaching the front doors of the market a got in my way and actually pulled out a twenty and dropped in in the boot. I just sped into the market. What's really sort of interesting is this happened infront of a Sam's Club. I got what I needed there then finished my shopping at my local market. I was racing in this market when a fireman said “hey, buddy, didn't we just see you” I just smiled and said, “yeah, that was me” and zipped over to Frozen Foods.


No comments: