Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Print This




My new printer arrived last Thursday but I maws too busy to install the printer then and I was off Friday and yesterday I was in just a half of a day and half of that day was taken up with the transition meeting. So the first day I have had to work on the project was today. So, what the hell is this racket of selling you a product then leaving out a key piece of equipment need to make the product work! Unbelievable. I set up the printer to find that I did not have the USB cord I needed to patch the printer to the CPU. INCREDIABLE, that’s like buying a car and the tires you have to purchase separate. Auto dealers cannot or do not do this so what do people who sell computer peripherals? So, any way I started searching the office for such a piece of equipment The new Exec Sec, in a burst of efficiency, went through the whole office and “surplused” everything not connected to a standing system. There is nothing round here I could use. Cecilia in her fit of efficiency then ordered the co0nnecing cord I needed. I felt I would be OK because the cord would most likely be in to tomorrow and I am old enough to be patient…wrong! I went to lunch with the sole purpose of trying to find just such a device. I did not find the cord I needed but as I passed Cecilia’s office I noticed my old printer sitting in a box we were using to hold the printer until we cold surplus the piece. I wondered and zipped into her office and lifted the computer and sure enough there was the cord I needed. The cord is short but would match the other cord attached to the CPU and should work.

I had installed the software needed for the printer already and hooked the printer to the CPU and the printer was found but to my dismay would not work. I got a test pint to work but when I tried to print a word file the file hung up the printer. I turned the system on and off trying to clear the buffers of the print program and the program would no clear even after I took the system all the way down. So, I disconnected the printer and shut the system down again and reloaded the software completely, first completely removing the software from the system and reinstalling – I even had to download a driver which should have been on the software. The third installation did the tick, the system recognized the printer but I wa still struggling. The printer is a HP 5610-p-a way nice printer…the printer is actually printer, copier, fax system and scanner! Way more power then I need. But I will use the programs. So, I had to go into the system and remove the other printers. Then the machine was only finding the Fax machine every time I tried to print a document… since I will never use this machine as a fax I disconnected this function and removed it from the system and then pointed the cpu to the new printer and then I was in business. I printed some documents and images: perfect.
I am still pissed that HP would have the gall to sell you a device without all the equipment needed to run the device with out having to go back out into the community and buy something else. We all need to write a letter letting them know this type of marketing is unacceptable.

No comments: