Thursday, August 10, 2006

Let em Eat Cake

I am totally unmotivated today. I actually am feeling a little ill I don’t know why but I have been coughing all morning and feeling a little queasy and  I am beginning to sniff and snuff and my eyes are watering a little. Hopefully I am just experiencing some allergies some new item I have grown an allergy to. I doubt it though and probably have a summer cold a poor affliction to have.  I may also be just tired after a night of poor sleep.  I did  feel a little better after opening a can of soup( Cambell’s Chicken Noodle) and a pile of roast beef, there was a consumer meeting here Tuesday and I suppose two or three of the “promised” did not show so their box lunches were place in the refrigerator. The sandwiches were OK—lumps of shredded roast beef on brown bread, at least three days old now and if I did not eat them the sandwiches would be thrown out.  Our office does that—a couple who are part time house cleaners. These “professional” house cleaner just hate to have things laying round the fridge or the shelves.  Many time I have looked forward to coming to work and have a dried out doughnut or piece of cake to find the cake or pastry had been thrown out! A PERFECTLY GOOD PIECE OF DRIED CAKE, just right to have milk, ice cold milk poured over and eaten as a treat.  This almost breaks my heart when this happens.

I did not always like my cake or doughnuts dried out. I think I have learned this from my father-he’s dead now; passed on couple of years ago. But I often tell the story that one of the most depressing things for me to experience growing up is to bust in the door, coming home from school, and not smell any dinner cooking.  This usually met one thing: Mom had a busy day and did not have time to cook. When this happened Mom would drag down a aluminum dish pan filled with bread dried dry as tinder. Dinner would then be bowls of bread and milk. My Dad loved this meal and the only thing I think he like more was dried cake.  Since we lived on a small milk farm we always had large quantities and Mom always bought huge amounts of bread from the “dead bread” store much of which was dedicated for the dish pan.  Then as I entered into the world of work I realized that the last doughnuts, the  dried ones were never eaten.  If you did mind the age or the hard texture of petrified cake or doughnuts and had enough milk you always had a treat in the kitchen. Staff at the office will hold cake, brought in to celebrate staff birthdays, for me. I often bring in a quart of milk or have canned milk standing by in the “cold box” for just such an opportunity to baptize my dry cake.

What a week! Dianne had her operation the new boss steps to the plate and I get a new printer and tomorrow is Pay-Day!  When I go home I am going to open a can of hot peppers and try to circumvent this illness which is trying hold on my body. Hot pepper and some sleep and I am sure I will be alright.

No comments: