Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Hit and Run

Unless I am in major discomfort of embarrassment in a shoe falls off my feet once I have put the shoe on the shoe is condemned to stay off for the rest of the day. I had a spasm early on this morning at work and my right shoe has been off ever since. Luckily my feet do not stink like one of my ex roommates. I sit be hind a small cadenza loaded with computer stuff so I can get away with having no shoes on at all. I have found that even when people do notice the bared crip foot may look,one and may even look twice but they will never say anything. They figure its my business and I must have a good reason to be carrying one shoe in my lap and having a bare foot exposed.

The “bare foot clause” is sort of like the “Hit and Run”. The “Hit an Run” clause allows a person with a disability to assault and able bodied person and get away with it. The a generalization clause—this allows a person in a wheelchair to assault once or twice ( with in limits), more and the assaulted will begin making noise. I am always amazed when I accidentally rune over someone’s foot on the bus, in an elevator or at some other public gathering and when I try to apologize the brush the event of as if nothing had happened. I know how much I weigh and I know how much my chair weighs and combine us both we add up to a lot of mass. Some times the person will even apologize to me for being in my way. Unbelievable. When this happens I just keep quiet and try to get out of there as fast as I can before the assaulted comes to their senses.

I had a buddy in college, actually, I knew him way before college—we went to Camp Easter Seals together for all our early adolescence. He has Cerebral Palsy. Henry is quite articulate but quite involved physically using a cane to ambulate. In college/university Henry was able to get his hands on a golf cart. A huge vehicle Office Update:

I was informed today that the Boss leaves for her two week vacation in Alaska in September, that I will be acting Boss! I am not sure how I feel about this after I pondered this revelation for a while. Up until this point in time I have just done my job, covered my hours and not really worried about anyone else. But, I am going to be the Boss for two weeks. I am going to have to enforce office policy. Oh, I can do this I just have never liked being a manager. I probably have too strong a need to be liked. However, I can lead if forced to. How good a leader is another. I hate giving orders, I hate disciplining and I hate following up on people. I have to morph into a “monster guy” I hate being a monster guy. This well really change my standing in the office.

No comments: