Monday, January 30, 2023

Letters Letters

 



Supercold but sunshiny. I didn't even go outside once today elected and stay inside and work on my current project the kid letters. This seems to be all manner of little distractions that arise, take me off the task but little bit by little bit I'm coming to the end of February's mail out. Nothing fancy just the regular kid letters. I have gotten the word content down to about 500 Or so words so it's sort of like, letter haiku. I used to spend a lot more time focused of the scripting of each letter that I realize really did make a difference. For the kids who receive the money ($5) that's all they're concerned about. I doubt that they actually read the letter. Jasmine, the oldest grandkid might. But the others I think just sort of blow them off and that's okay. That's the whole point of this exercise for me, well sort of, but to leave a document (S) of my written relationship with the child. Hopefully, they will save these documents and at a later time in their lives they may think of me go to the closet or bottom drawer or cardboard box out in the garage and retrieve their letter bundles agreed again this monthly dialogue, one-sided, but constant with the real grandfather, or dad. It's not much of a legacy but something.


So today it was doing another read through of the letters on-screen making some changes and then printing the document doing that for all of them finally put them over on the table. Next, is the most tedious task which is printing out the envelopes. I think I've ranted on this before that my handwriting is degraded so much that I think the postmasters don't even try to decipher any I send hand addressed. I still kind of think that's lame but if I take the time to print out each envelope at least the postman can't use that as an excuse to not deliver my letters. I kind of really like my little printer but it could really be a pill sometimes. In a perfect world I would be able to stack all of my envelopes, to be printed, in the envelope receiver and be able to basically program all the addresses to be addressed press “print” and have the little printer print away but of course that never works for me if I put in more than 3 envelopes at the time I am assured that there will be at least one paper jam in this case envelope gem for the envelope gets jammed up in the works inside the printer. This then requires me to raise the top of the printer then actually raise the top off another printer section that allows me to lift off a piece which exposes the jammed up paper piece. The 1st couple of times just drove me crazy but since I have to do it every month now I've gotten quite proficient at lifting the printer top than the printer lid itself and pull off this little plastic cover image exposes the paper jam I've been pull off a piece of parchment and put everything back together and start the process all over again. I've learned now the force myself to be patient and print no more than 2 envelopes of the time rolling back and forth to feed the new envelopes into the receiver and pull the newly printed envelopes out.


Today is is going through this process I inadvertently pulled the printer right off the shelf down the floor and of course this is one of the few items I can't lift up independently meeting at have to search for assistance. It took me about an hour to find someone but I did and he got me going again and I was able to finish the final envelope just a few minutes ago. I still have to sign letters, fold them then stuff them with money those that receive apply stamps and then drop them in the mail. At this point I'll leave that for tomorrow. I'm supposed to go to my meeting tomorrow downtown Salt Lake. Maybe I can get this done before I leave who knows…

No comments: