Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Mean Sidewalks

 



I was not surprised this morning when I called my folks over at Assist, Inc., to let them know that I would not be coming in for a meeting today if we should have one. I was pretty sure we would not just because this is the 1st working day following the New Year's holiday. But, I want to let them know that if they were having a meeting I would not make it just because there is so much snow storm sidewalks and curb cuts all along area of my apartment complex. This is a major (to me) issue for property owners and municipalities in Salt Lake County area. A written about this problem before about how there is a lot of responsibility of the local governments as to who was responsible for removing snow the sidewalk especially after a major snowfall. This lack of responsibility just irritates the hell out of me.


After my morning routine and I sent Lissy on her way. I got to work trying to advocate for not only myself but anybody else who uses a support device like a power chair, Walker a regular wheelchair or even just a and needs to be out of public thoroughfares. Contacted Utah transit Authority to see about digging the snow out their busstop adjacent to our property. This is the busstop for many of my J

journeys Begin and end. I was not surprised for eternal hold and later about 20 minutes spoke with Cheryl who was very nice to me and and assured me they would get a crew out. I don't hold my breath that anyone show up soon but you certainly nice about the whole issue. I will let them have tomorrow but if by tomorrow night that busstop is not been 3 from snow I will remain my colleague on Thursday morning bright and early. Besides checking on the bus stop I also started cruising around the community just seeing how significant the snow is was.. I forgot about one of my core beliefs is that City streets and streets in general are made for vehicles and are maintained for vehicles and of course in a snowstorm acity street is always maintained 1st cleared of snow with that's now going straight to the side of the street or on sidewalks or curb cuts or all the above. So I figure, merchants will also bulldoze out their driveways and parking areas as well as entryways to their operation. So I have to do really is Roll down the street when there are no other cars. This works perfectly for me and bills in the immediate vicinity of my apartment complex. It's a little dicey if I wanted will couple blocks locally I get to the coffee shop , fast food joints and if UTA its job I should be just fine Until the next snowfall Which is now being forecast for the end of the week. That's all right I don't have anything else really going this route that I have to be out on the streets for. I get to the coffee shop so I'm good…


No comments: