Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Breakast in the Blue Tower




I must be getting excited about the upcoming trip to Boise. I out the door headed for train station a half hour early. I had the time so I thought I would stop a restaurants on the way in to grab a spot of breakfast . The whole morning adventure was weird though; like leaving that half hour early set me in a new reality, a parallel universe. Of course the driver who stopped for me at my home stop was no one I knew. This was a little strange but not too. You ride the service long enough you get the feeling you know all the train drivers—there is not that many of them. But she was cool got me into the Galivan Station where I jumped off .



There is a little corner restaurant a block South of the Galvan station. It is not a fancy place by any stretch but I have dined there before and it's good; very blue color but inexpensive and quick. But I had noticed a fairly new place in the blue tower called the Panache Cafe and I wondered and have wanted try the place and this morning would be a good time to do so. The local CBS affiliate is located in the ground floor of the blue tower,KUTV and the Panache looks like it services the workers of the station as well as all the others in the tower.

The Panache is located on the second floor of the building and opens at 7:00 am. I has a couple minutes to explore. I have done a couple of shows in this building before but I am always amazed at the space and offerings of the place. Some high end clothes shops, barbershop ans salon( of course) and lots of pictures of local celebs adorned the halls of the foyer. I happen to cross a building employee while I was waiting for the elevator and asked her if she had been to the eater. She said they had a fairly economical offering for breakfast, muffins, toast, breakfast burritos and a full breakfast under $5.00. cool I was offer. This is where things get a little strange.

I got back to the Panache a little after 7:00. Open an airy and well lit. One can dine in and there is outside dining on the balcony over looking Main Street. The place was oddly vacant though. Finally a post adolescent showed up. Gum chewing, short haired attired blue jeans and a black T with “:Panache Cafe” written across the chest or in this case, breasts. I still had a strange feeling however, difficult ti describe. A women was also in the restaurant and asked if I was ordering and I waved her ahead—she looked like she had somewhere to be . I was standing right behind her and she explained what she wanted twice and and Black T still had trouble following the order. Coffee and two breakfast burritos. Then when the women paid the girl Black T did not give any change back so the foot tapping lady reminded Black T who still looked in a fog and the foot tapper raised her voice Black T actually got a pencil and paper and did the math and eventually gave the Foot tapper change and Foottapper quietly raged from the restaurant. The whole event was just weird. I ordered my breakfast to stay and when the meal was ordered up the meal was in a to go container. Black T had written the order correctly and the kitchen folk had messed up.

The train was one of the old trains from the university route. Again, when the driver got out to board me it was one I had never seen before. He let me on the train but did not acknowledge me, again a little thing but weird. He also did not ask me where I wanted to get off. The drivers always ask you that so they can let you off when your stop comes. The older trains do not have a huge window in the middle of the door to the trains engineer section. The older trains have a small window maybe about six inches square that the driver has to slid a door back to look out into the train. He would quickly slid the door back every stop to the end of the line and peer into the train. The driver may have been looking at me it was difficult to tell but wie4rd behavior all the same. Again, I had the unworldly feeling again too. I think Black T and Train driver were “low-people” as in strange underlings doing dark things for the Crimson King. And the Blue Tower a metaphor for the Black Tower. I maybe reading much Stephen King

No comments: