Tuesday, June 20, 2006

No Vacancy

Cousins

I have percerverated very little regarding this years family reunion. Remember last year? I just `could not let the event alone. I am stressing the event but not barely as much as last. The event is in Boise this year actually at my little brother's place. Boise is about 6 hours north of where I live now. The actual reunion is Saturday but for some reason I took off Thursday and Friday yet I only booked rooms for Friday and Saturday nights.?!! There just happens to be a regional soccer tournament in Boise the same weekend so there were no rooms available for Thursday night. I am so dumb. I am just do not know what I was thinking.

The whole idea of getting rooms at motels and hotels when visiting family is so foreign to me. When I was growing up and we did our annual northern migration to Canada: 1. We could not have afforded such a luxury and 2. the resident family would have been enraged to come as far as you did and not spend the time with them. Motelling just was not done in the 50's and 60's if you had family.


So now I have this extra day. I would be stupid to work Thursday just because I could not get a room. There are no rooms in Boise and surrounding area due to the tournament so what do I do? The mood has been long time coming but now I am in the traveling mood, I want to get out on the open road heading North. I even thought of calling my brother who's place the reunion is at. He just build this house. I have been told the place is huge. Infact I must insert that this brother is the only family member(parents included) who actually built a ramp to access his house when I visit. This of course was his old house not the new one. I called his this afternoon and and actually asked if we could spend the first night at his home. It seems he built all the bedrooms on the second floor. Keep in mind I am the family crip. So the barge in on family option is out. What now? So the reunion is at his house ans now there is a question of “Is the bathroom accessible???!!!” In fact he did the “ Let me talk it over with my wife and I'll call you right back.”

The conversation must have been grim, it was a good twenty minutes be fore he calls back. I pick the phone up on the third or fourth ring and met by guilt loaded silence and then he stammers his excuses for not being able to accommodate. I am OK, but I can tell he is just dieing. I try to let him off the hook by laughing the whole thing off and saying “It's OK, we'll just come down on Friday no problem.” Now I can sense he is near tears. He gives few more excuses before I put him out of his misery and and hang up.

I would still like to go up on Thursday and be able to spend some time in the old home town but we probably won't. But I sure got the event started on the right foot.f

No comments: