Monday, June 12, 2006

Waiting for Five

I started out today with a fairly high stress index.
I had IOTI (Inter-agency Outreach Training Initiative) that organization which meets through out the year to try to give money to projects or program who have developed a proposal to met some unmet of folks with disabilities in the state. IOTI is an OK project, a couple of free meals through out the year and lots of reading.

Today is the boss first day back in the office after being out of the office for more then two weeks. I live in a constant state of confusion and I thought my annual job review was this afternoon when in fact the review is this coming Thursday, 2-4. Anyway because I was confused and thought the review was this afternoon pluss the fact that Monday is our weekly staff meeting. On regular Mondays staff meetings can linger on and on and since the boss has been out for weeks , I decided to excuse myself from IOTI rather then have to rush allover the city trying to get back to the office in time for my evaluation. I elected to leave my van at home and came in on the train. The temps will be in the 90’s today and that is the last thing I want is to have to suffer drive-time locked in a box without air conditioning.

So I get to the office and find that infact my performance eval is on Thursday and I do not have my van. I really want to bail on the meeting but I no longer have an excuse. I have a hard time saying I am going to do something then not doing it. It’s the guilt thing, I just do not do well with guilt. So, I called the City Transit Authority found the bus which would get me to a half a block of the Buffmire Building and I was gone.

The cool of the morning still lingered as I crossed 3rd west it would get hot today but I had my hat a full battery charge and determination to make this meeting on time. I knew I was crowding the window of time I had before the bus was supposed to be there. I could actually wait for the next bus cycle ((30) minutes ) ) and still make the meeting. Less then five minutes however, a bus pulled up deployed it’s lift and I boarded as easy as that. I got to the meeting with 30 minutes to spare but I had forgotten my STEPHEN KING. I wondered round the building visiting people and office I know there at the Buffimire and got some valuable Out-reach in.

So what started out as a possible day of stress for the beginning of the work week has ended up as a comfortable, and somewhat productive “easing” back into work. My partner had to leave as soon as I got back to the office and so I am back in the back all alone waiting for 5:00.

No comments: