Thursday, June 15, 2006

Performance Now


I missed the ILC (Independent Living Center) summer picnic today, mostly due to my own laziness. The excuse I am using when I am asked “why were you mat the picnic” is that “my van is still in the shop” which the van is. I really was planning on attending the annual event because I was sure my van would be out of the shop. True, I am Mr. Public Transit—and any other day I would have jumped at the excuse to extricate me from the office to attend BBQ held at the park affectionately named “the Duck Park” from the masses of fowl wild and other wise which tend to congregate at the pavilion located in the rear of the park the Independent Living Center always uses. Today, how ever is also my Performance Evaluation. That point in time during the year when you meet with your supervisor to assess how you have executed your position during the past year. I did not know they picnic was today when elected the time slot 2-4, today. I just did not have time to do both today. Actually could have made the cross town trip but I don’t need any additional stress on PE day.

I think I am going to be. I m sure I will get ragged a little but that’s what the performance eval is all about. Balance what you have done well with what you need to “grow” with and get the event past you so you can get back to your regular life. This year might b e a little different since the boss is leaving. Her leaving means the PE could go either way. It could be extremely tough or very casual. She is a “goner”, less then a month before she is gone to her new position on the East coast. She has always been fair so I am sure I will get what I deserve. I usually get “superior “ or “Good” markings. This of course is good enough to keep me in this position for another year and that is really all that I want. I really don’t care that much as to the COLA or what every they’re calling raises this year. I am much more interested in insurance coverage and benefits and a steady check the increasing the salary.

And that is that. I just exited the Evaluation. I did an overall “Exceptional”. I am in the game for another year. I usually come away from these experiences refreshed( as I did this evaluation) vowing to change and redirect my energies to new and lofty goals. This “rebirth” lasts usually to the end of the week the performance evaluation was preformed but then I start getting lax. Maybe not this time though.

So its done for another year, and I know the boss was zooming the evaluation, which is ok by me. We actually talked a lot about her coming separation with her job and the state and what will happen. She needs some assurances that things she has worked so hard to put in place continue to stay in place on her exit. So I am “Exceptional” But you knew that already…”wink”.

No comments: