Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Detonation Plus

Ok! It’s Tuesday afternoon and I know I promised. The huge secrete is my boss resigned from her post this afternoon. This of course starts a “ripple” effect for the office and for me. It’s not that I am going t miss this boss, although I must admit that she has been one of the better bosses I have had. She has been my supervisor for the past five years. We understand each other we get along ok. What more can you want fro m a working relationship? Now she is going, all the way to N.J. She will be gone by the 15th of July. In fact after next week she is just really going to be I and out of the office. The grapevine has already started churning out rumors and such. The best rumor thus is they( Council) is going to establish an interim director: a director like person to handle the day to day events of the office until the council interviews meets and confirms a replacement. This replacing exercise could go into September. The Council is going to wage a National search but I think, I hope the council will hire from with in the local office. I hope all this national talk is just formality. We kind of have an associate director—someone who is in charge when the boss is gone. She is a very unique individual but one I respect, like and could work for. I do not know if the council will go for her but it might happen.

So after the bomb dropped and the annual meeting closed I booked back to the office. It’s the beginning of the end. Nothing else is going to really happen in office today. In fact the resigning boss just left the fort to get her drivers license. My co-worker split an hour ago and I can hear the folks in the front offices just yammering away. It’s like the day of the Christmas play at school. Even if the play was at 10:00 am and over by 12:00 nothing else is done all day. They might as well turn the students and let the teachers Smoke in the hallways. Nothing is going to get done till tomorrow. In our case I bet nothing substantial happens till September. If the AD (associate Director) gets interim then maybe things will move forward—still at a slower pace until the deed is official. I am answering phones and addressing email questions. It’s quiet back here and the air conditioning is actually working and the cool is welcome, even to me. The clouds of an afternoon storm have moved in making the space outside my window dark and sort of welcoming. NPR has started their afternoon broadcast of All Things Considered that means it’s three o Clock. That means I can make it to the end of the day maybe to the end of the week now. The boss has made her announcement and the announcement did cause a stir in the audience. My boss was not that well liked in the community, primary because she did catalyze change and this is good. I think the boss scared the snot out of a lot of the “old guard” I think I have seen change, good change actually begin to happen. How long this change will continue once the force is removed, who knows? We can only hope those left—who believed like her that the consumer with a disability should have as many choices as possible and the right to make them.

No comments: