Friday, June 16, 2006

Today is a long day





Today is a long day for me. I will be working late at the
Family Links conference. The conference will actually be held in my neighborhood high school so going home will not be a problem. I think I will be able to leave the conference at 7:00 pm this evening, but that still makes for a long day.

The conference will have an Information Hall, and this is where I come in. My partner, Cecilia and are “manning” an information table at this operation today and tomorrow. We will be giving away tablets, pencils, key chain and mini-flash lights. In hope of getting people to stop by our table and we can answer their questions on disability. The conference is also a great time to catch up with other players in the local disability market. I have made a lot of friends over the years and these information fairs seems to be the only time we get together. So this duty is light duty at best and the duty is also fun because of linking up with some old friends. There is a couple of meals provided but these are usually cold sandwiches so I may go out to eat and let someone else have my box lunch.

I had a message on my answering machine this morning—is was my cousin, Scott, the guy who works on my van. The van is done. I am going to pick the vehicle up round lunchtime. The cost is more then I had anticipated when I dropped the van off on Monday $700.00, but I guess we will feel and be safer when we travel next week driving up to Boise for the family reunion. New plugs, points, distributor, filters, and plugging a couple of leaks the cost adds up quickly. I will survive. Well, be good to have the van for the weekend though because I have to breakdown the table tomorrow night and I was not quite sure how I was going to get the stuff back to the office. This is good because this weekend will allow me to put some miles on the vehicles to see that the van is doing everything it needs to be before my trip on Thursday. If something drips or pops this weekend I can get the vehicle in to Scott on Monday. So I am jumping the bus at lunch and heading down to Murray to pick up the van.

I know I have bitched about this before but it just irks me no end that ablebodied idiots always use the only wheelchair accessible whatever when ever where ever. I could not believe it. I got off the train this morning at the end of the line at the Deltas Center. They are setting up for some function going on there this week and management already had the porta-potties in place. A long row of potties and a large “wheelchair accessible” unit on the end. So, there I am a little after 7:00 a.m., Delta Center, downtown Salt Lake City and I need to pee. So, I figure “Hey” a real porta-pottie which I can get in---too cool… so I yank on the door…nothing happens, I try it again, and nothing happens, again. Great I think to myself—what a cruel thing to do is to live a row of bathrooms out in public and lock them. I mildly cursed and hit the door and was in the process of backing up when I hear “ I’m in here” “Oh,” I said and took off for my office.. Typical though, ten damn porta-potties to choose and this homeless guy (I m assuming) is sleeping ( also I am assuming) is hold up in the only accessible unit available. Some things never change.

No comments: