Saturday, June 10, 2006

just Another Race.



I am 286














This is the end of a very long day most of which has been in the sun. I did the annual UILC race this morning. Not bad as races go. I was again chagrinned at how slow my power chair. This year I did not even place in the finals. Oh well, I may not be fast but I sure can climb hills if I need to. It as good to go to the race though. It’s a time when I am surrounded by people I work with for nearly 15 years. The race is also a time when I can around a group folks with disabilities similar to mine. People who think like I do and for the most part believe what I do as far a Independent Living goes. I think its weird that in the office I am in now there really no one else with a disability. The folks we serve are people with disabilities but their disabilities are developmental. For the most part these folks are what the “world” refers to as “mentally retarded’ mentally challenged, which in many ways is just as crass.


I think I finished the race under 40 minutes but then you have to wait for everyone else to come in. Then there are the stragglers then there are the awards—finger in throat unless of course you win. Then they give out the other prizes. Items which have been donated. Thy had some pretty good item this year: dinners for two, movie tickets, massages and the coveted trip to the local gambling Mecca just two hours west, over the State line in Nevada. I of course did not win anything. But I stayed to the end to be a good sport. I have a plan though to make things different next year. Starting Monday I a going to start contacting various durable medical venders in the area pitching them the idea that if they supply a chair and “soup” it up with bigger faster motors I will race in the events under their logo. This would be fun. I currently just do one race a year but there are actually three other round the state that I could conceivably compete in. I would also be repping my office since I like to think I am the State center for used assistive technology. I really think this could be very cool.

The rest of the day was spent at the park with Dianne and my granddaughter Auni.
We had the mandatory picnic provided by KFC ; expensive but way less hassle then doing the picnic yourself. The temperature was just right with a cool breeze but more sun lots of sun and I did not wear my hat! The spring runoff had flooded the playground area and the kids were up to their kneecaps in water and woodchips. Auni found a friend after a while and wallowed in the chips, water and the mud. Dianne and I read and kept an eye on Auni and enjoyed our afternoon. I am exhausted and I think I will sleep well tonight. Here are some images of the race.


.

No comments: