Monday, June 19, 2006

A Quiet Fathers Day

I passed a quiet Fathers Day yesterday spending time on the computer and reading my Stephen King. I was pleased to have contact with all my kids except two—the ”twins” Things one and two. That’s OK I know everyone has major responsibilities of these “parent day” guilt generators. Brooks was over and presented me with the $20.00 gift card to Best Buy. The gift card is very much appreciated./ I am fortunate that Best buy is on the way over to the house. What I need to do though is encourage Brooks consider making the same gift card purchase art Barnes and Noble which lives in the same strip mall as Best Buy. Brooks used to do this, once in the summer for Fathers Day then again in the winter at Christmas time—a d sometimes for my birthday in February at my birthday. Getting a gift card at these point always guaranteed I would have something to read. Best Buy is always great for someone who enjoys electronics as do. We had a good visit ad enjoyed our moment when our orbits would meet for a couple of hours and then he was on his way.

Bridget and I intersected not long after Brooks left. Dianne had gone down for her nap a little while earlier and I was just signing on to the computer to do some writing. I was a bit surprised because I had thought Bridget, Gabe and Auni were gone for the entire weekend. We sat in the late spring heat under the shade of Chinese plum trees and enjoyed each other company promising to get together in the coming weeks.

Later on in the day Mark called and later came over and we went down to the back yard. Mark is totally focused on bringing our grass back. I had not been in the back for some time. Mark is also interested in making the back much more accessible to me and my wheelchairs. Mark has invested a lot of thought to this project and am welling to give him a shot. I was able see the back yard in an entirely new frame of reference. I plan to use the back yard more even now be for the renovations take place.

Michelle IMed late Saturday night and again on Sunday do deliver a great Fathers Day greeting. We Instant Message a lot, fairly regularly and she wished me a Grand father’s Day” too.

I appreciated hearing from each and every one. I kinda missed to hearing from the “twins” but I would have been more surprised if I had. I know James is always busy and I read on Charles’ MySpace page that he lost his brand new cell early on Saturday. I am sure Charles is still grieving.

When I was visiting my neighbors were having their Fathers Day get together out on their front yard. Lanae( Al wife) grew more and more instant that I join them in their activities. I felt a bit shy and I really needed and wanted to spend time with Mark. I eventually did go over when Mark left and spent an hour or so over their in their front yard feeling just like family. We have been very fortunate to have neighbors like Al and Lanae. They watch our for us and care for us in the “old way” of neighbors. Some snooping but a lot of support…canned jellies, cookies at Christmas, Zucchinis and tomatoes in season and just great over the fence gossip and discussion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry there was no "what's up?" on Dad day. Did a double at the JOB :( Still, coulda/shoulda givin' you a call. Still, love you, think about you, read your blog... My life's crazy right now in a way I'll have to digest more to properly discribe, and the days have been running together for me, equally significant, and insignificant. In lieu of actual reparations I can give two book recomendations and two musical recomendations.
Both books are classic Sci-fi: first; "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny, a tale of Homer-esce proportions with a distinctly Hindu/buddist flavor and only two unforgivable puns (that I spotted.) Second; "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm not completely threw it yet, but I can already tell that, like a lot of Heinlein's stuff, it has much more depth to it than appearances would have you think.
Musically, concider picking up anything by Loufus Wainright. I just discovered him, though he's been around a while. Also, Little Wings' album "Wonderue," very different sounding folk music, but it'll grow on you. Okay, I lied. One more music idea. Karate - "Unsolved". It's like jazz, but it's like rock. Great lyrics.

James

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Thank you deeply for thy reponse it was one of the greatest gift to have gotten. I know you are busy but your life sound interesting ad full--this is good. thanks for the recommends I'll se whn I can work them in. I 'm off to Boise Thursday for Family reunion wish me luck and sanity--with love...Daddy Big mark