Sunday, June 04, 2006

Slugs and bugs and Long Legged Spiders.



I just searched my blog for the words glass and mirror (s) and had a couple of hits but nothing about the glass I have been hording for some time. I pass through a small industrial “villiage” on my way up to the train station. Early on I noticed outside one of the shops in this industrial area there were long narrow strips of mirror; anywhere from one inch to six inches wide and about four to five feet in length. The material was obvious garbage but I hated to see it go to waste. There was also window glass perched against the side of the building next to the trash barrel. I kept my eye on it day in and day out and one day the glass was gone. Trash day. “He who hesitates is lost.” This is one of the life lessons I am being forced to learn. I tend to “hesitate” one way or the other and I loose my opportunity.

Sure enough a week went by and there were more sparkling thin strips of mirror and window pane glass. This time as I inspected the find one of the folks from one of the other garages ambled over to say”Hi”. Turns out he is a neighbor. I explained my question and he indicated he would ask the owner if I could have the glass, adding that he was sure the glass was junk. When I got home from work the glass was neatly standing against my garage. He also left a note saying anytime glass was out there I could help myself and not make a mess. Any breakage, he expected to be swept up and put tin the barrel.

That summer I collected a lot of glass. Some really nice pieces of mirror and some nice regular glass. I have broke some but I have not done a thing with any of it...maybe until now. My youngest granddaughter is Jasmine. Jasmine is 21/2 and has a fascination with insects especially ants and spiders. Jasmine is at the stage where if she sees a ant crossing the walk she will squat, stick the end of her finger and then look a at the remains up close and personal. I have been thinking why not make an ant farm? I have the wood and glass to do a nice one. I am not sure quite how to go about such project but am sure we can do it. I spend some time searching the INTERNET. I am sure the plans I need are there. I even have a glass cutter I purchased right after I started collecting the mirror and window glass.

The hours of daylight continue grow we are still three weeks to the Summer Solstices That moment for me when Summer begins and ends. From that day forward it's all about the coming of winter...way off for sure but from that the sun starts her long trek back. For now the days are hot, long and I can see the days again through the eyes of the young.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/ant-farm.shtml

this site seemed fairly helpful. hope it works out.