Friday, June 09, 2006

The Winds of Change

I wish I could tell you. But, I have astounding news but have been sworn to secrecy by my office mate who got the news from another office mate who supposedly got the information from the source. In an office our side this information is monumental, huge earth shattering. The stone into a pond which could start a ripple effect which could have ramifications Statewide. I really cannot tell you until Monday.

Change. Everything again is changing. Does not the world know how difficult change is for someone my age ?! I am comfortable back here in the office closest to the building end. A view of the seasons out my window and a view of the dumpster. I see various office lackeys from all over the building stop outside my window, heft the container of refuse onto their should and over the edge of the dumpster and the world just keeps on spinning. But the Boss is planning to “drop a bomb” on Monday morning during staff meeting which will quite possibly stop the world from spinning …least wise the world I know it. Well, not really stop turning, actually given the metaphor the world WOULD start spinning again after just a brief pause, and then the world just move on.

So the mice are dancing round what they perceive is the uncovered cheese on the kitchen table. They think life is going to get easier with the change ahead, that the days will be sweeter, the nights softer and the weekends longer. Ho! I shall be surprised. What my 55 years have taught me and taught me well is the mote things change the more they stay the same—I know, cliché but true. Mark my words the mice will be surprised after they feign shock at Monday mornings staff meeting and one staff member knuckles with the other staff member( behind the closed doors of the work room) where no one will see them. I just gravitate back to my corner office in the back and shake my head and wait for the winds of change to begin their relentless blow. The winds will blow and agitate and there will be some long faces, a party, a speech then a slight shift in power then a greater shift in power and a new dance partner then things will slowly settle back into a routine and the change will be complete and I shall still be here. I am the survivor I will always still be here.

No comments: