Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fall is for Socks

There comes one day each year when I have to make a decision to start wearing socks. I know wearing or not wearing socks sounds incidental but it makes a big difference in my day. The days have to be so cold and uncomfortable that I change my routine when dressing. Today was that day for me. Today I start wearing socks for the Fall and Winter Seasons.

Most days I dress my self completely and independently was that redundant? On days I wear socks means I have to lift my legs at least two more times then I do when I choose not to wear socks. My feet are all the way at the end of my legs. I have to literally pick my legs up and cross them so I can reach my feet and wrestle the socks on. This year I have taken to using a bike inner tube to hook my foot and pull the foot up over my leg to put my pants on—this method also works for my sock application process. This year I have also noted that my spasticity has increased and keeping my leg crossed has become more difficult and I noticed I feel at greater risk of having a spasm, sever enough to launch me from my wheelchair. This is scary. Usually I have enough forewarning that I can hook my arm over one of the handle on the back of my chair. So having to use caution during this process also adds more time to my dressing process and this also drives me crazy. However, all things considered, I am thankful I can do this whole process regardless of how long the process takes, independently.

Today when I checked outside, just after rising, I could see the rain and feel the chill. I sighed and decided in order to feel warm and dry I would be wearing socks. Black, nylon, rayon or some other synthetic weave would cover my foot today. I struggled and hefted my foot up and was mildly surprised to see the that I was still able to coax my foot into the sock and I was able to accomplish this in pretty good time as well. Getting the socks on is a minor big deal with the amount of swelling my feet experience over the summer.

I try to wait for the equinox to either stop wearing or begin wearing socks but today was the day for me. I have meetings out of the office and had to dress up anyway. The skies over cast and looks to threaten rain all day. The day looks cold from start to finish. I am even driving today, to the Buffmire building and back. Looks like rain tomorrow and again Friday. I have meetings out of the office both days. So, I will be wearing socks from here on out till Spring. Dressing in socks takes a little bit longer and is a hassle but the payoff of having warm dry feet all day is worth it. Next on my agenda is finding a pair of warm shoes which will not fly off my feet when I crash my power chair.

No comments: