Friday, September 15, 2006

Rain, Rain it's Friday again

I have just a few hours left of my directorship. The Boss should be back next week thank goodness. I cannot say that this has been a bad experience, actually the experience was somewhat benign. I just came into work as I usually do , this week, I spent a great deal moving my office back to the front. So, this week was mostly typical.

I have to admit that toward the end of the week staff were treating me different. I think I noticed the change first on Tuesday. Staff started telling m where they were going or if they were going to do something different they usually did. I must admit I was a bit confused at first until realized staff was in effect notifying me because I am the boss! This was important if there was a dispute in the time…not that I would dispute such an event. I don’t really care. I can see if I really were the , I would be caring my daytime round with me and noting all these events. I also noticed as I settled into this role more people were talking to me, stopping by my office or coming up to me at lunch. I do not envy the real boss.—she must have no time to herself. But I guess this is what a boss does, baby-sit, hold employee hands and talk them into doing their jobs. The boss of this out fit would even be more difficult not only do you have a staff to shepherd but she also has to sit a very large council made up not only of consumers with disabilities but elected officials and professionals which serve folks with disabilities. What a nightmare.

So staff has been nice and supportive of me in this temporary position—after all it’s not big deal. It was a technicality to keep wheels of this office turning in case something anything happened. Nothing happened. In fact the office fifth column group continued their inner office meetings discussing their disgust over certain staff and office practices. Like if I was a real figure of leadership terror these little conversation would not be happening. I suppose if I reported back to the power structure then I would be isolated and considered a goat. I would do such a thing because I just work that way. Though I have to admit there were times I wondered what my role was because staff were carrying on outside my office door. I wondered if I wa to do one of those clearing your throat, glance at the clock and suggest the folks get back to work via body image or be even more confrontive and ask staff to get back to their desks and work. How droll if I were TO do something like this. I did not I just continued to do my work and keep my nose clean.

Actually it’s a good staff we have here. They work hard and get their work done—true some leave earlier then others and has cause concern with the boss. But if the business is covered one way or the other and this little perk keeps staff happy then why not? I gotta go now…I have to leave now. I worked through my lunch a couple of times this week so I am going …cause I can cause I’m the boss for a little while longer…

No comments: