Friday, September 08, 2006

Its Friday afternoon

It’s Friday afternoon, and day 2 of being the boss and I have screwed yet again! This time it has to do with timesheets. I destictly remember the boss telling me I had to get the staff time sheets, filled out and signed and have the time sheets taken over to human Services. I spoke with Shane who said he would take them over when he left for the day round 2:00 PM. Cool I thought done! No big deal. I mean there is like three people here today right. So, one of them is freaking out because Shane has done this. I guess this individual thought she was the person who is to take the time sheets over and she was going to keep do hers on Monday and take the time sheets over then. Her time sheets got thrown in with the others and got taken over and she was not ready for that to happen yet. So now this person who\ is as old as me has to walk all the way over to human services to retrieve her time sheet. Unbelievable. Next week is going to be an unbelievably long week.

I have managed before but the task did not ever seem to be as difficult as this assigmnet is turning out to be. I have been thinking about this problem I have been having all week and I think part of the problem I am having is that I have not really cared. My office for the past 6-7 years has been so small I have to had to really manage or direct anyone—I have got pretty spoiled. Just me in my own little universe—maybe just one other person but we get along very well..we understand each other. The lack of communication in this office maybe the problem. I have noted eve since the new employee started staff have been more and more frustrated. Part of it I thought was the addition of a new player to the mix but I have noted her professional and sometimes curt way of speaking. She is from another geographical area of the country and that may have something to with her communication skills…plus she has worked with large governmental offices and that too may have an impact. I do not think I have a problem talking with her but I am wondering if I am saying the right things. Maybe I am not saying enough; again, case in point: this morning I just assumed that everyone knew I was gathering timesheets, seemed like we discussed this in staff meeting, I certainly verbalized it enough in general but not specific…I should have at least sent a memo around. So, I have to stop assuming everyone on staff knows what I am thinking. But then again, this is just for one week. This is doable.

No comments: