Saturday, November 25, 2006

Christmas Season 2006




Christmas 2006 officially started for me today. There can be a number of things which will start the yuletide season for me: buying my first gift, shopping for the first gift(s) getting my first Christmas card or even writing my first card—well today I started writing the cards. Dianne had spent the night at Anakah's dealing with a crises, she and Ani were up a good part of the night talking. This morning in a burst of productivity I hauled out my box of cards from the bast couple of years. The box is great to store writing instruments, unused cards(left-over), postage and from this time forward addresses to the family. I next spent a good hour and half searching for the first on my lap top first then to the great desktop where I located a 2004 edition. This is list is fairly current and will get ninety percent of the cards to their destinations.

There are probably at least a hundred souls I should “card” but rarely gout outside my immediate family and a few close friends I have kept close to over the years. I have stayed away from the family news letter approach which is so ubiquitous these days. I write my cards out, just a few lines by the card are had and in my own hand and the message you are getting if you get a card from me is singular to you. It just feel better that way. Twenty cards is about the maximum I send out. Ten to brothers and sisters , maybe five or so to cousins and aunts or uncles, and the remaining five to selected friends and associates. If am to mail all of these I will be laying down eight or nine dollars in postage. But thats cool it's Christmas.

During this season i would like to go out to restaurants at least, do a couple of movies and maybe the Handel concert, what I would love to do it the The Messiah sing a long. I have never participated in th sing a long. However, I have gone as far as purchasing the music and even looked up the times ( there are a couple of the sing alongs in this town). Also during the season I want to run my copy of Holiday Inn, Scrouged and a couple of other films I have come to associate with the season You've Got Mail is one of those films I have always felt has a strong yule component. I think I use these films to see how other people do their Christmas. I like the films which show a lot of party going, people dressing up doing formal dinners and festive balls...I guess the romantic in me.

But alass this is building to be a busy year, seems that a couple of the kids families are unraveling, diverting a major portion of my weekend time to visit mom in the care center but hat maybe academic after a week or so. Mom sounds like she will be moving in with my older brother and sister in law. I do not know how long this arrangement is going to last but when mom goes there she will be, again, unreachable by me except by phone.

I believe the first cold snap mis on it's way in. The weather guy is calling for snow by Tuesday and I am feeling a sore throat coming on....

No comments: