Friday, November 10, 2006

Veterans Day Observed

Tomorrow is Veterans Day, Saturday but as a State employee I had today off. How lucky am I ? My holiday turned out to be a cool, but dry Autumn day. I wa surprised when I stepped/rolled outside my front door and the flags were not out on everyones front yard. but my own. I am sure we have been labeled the nghborhood anarchists because we have not succumbed to the local scout troupe which ha strong armed the neighborhood for yearly donation and in return the kids show up early on the day o the holiday and plant an American flag on your front lawn. What I have seen over the years it’ the one guy who has the misfortune to be the scout master. He drives his pick-up round the neighborhood while two or three scouts pull out rolled up flags and run the flags out to the yard. The scene is run in reverse at sunset. The flags were not out this morning and then I realized I bet they are out tomorrow which is really Veterans Day.

Mark A and my granddaughter came over today and I drug them up to visit their grandmother at the care center. My mom is looking very good, as healthy as I have seen her in a long time. We had a good visit and she has only used her new power chair once since she got it and that was to go to church last Sunday. She says she has no where to go so the chair just sit there like E. Allen Poe’s The Raven. When we had to leave I asked her if there anything I could get for her—she looked at me and said, “ You can get me out of here!” then she laughed as if to say maws only kidding I don’t think she was kidding though I don’t think she was kidding one bit.

No comments: