Thursday, November 02, 2006

Separation Anxiety

Some days I just struggle trying to dress then trying to stay dressed. I know I have often brayed the sentiment of how life would be some much more simple if we were just nudists. No having to choose outfits, then actually dress. I have heard the arguments of how ugly a world everyone being naked would be. Ugly or not the world would be a lot easier for me to live in. I just got back from the bathroom and I look a fright. I struggled in the confines of the commode stall just trying to pull my pants up and get them situated on my pathetic frame so I looks presentable enough to scurry back to my office and rearrange again. In the mean time in the bathroom I spazzed so hard I kicked my shoe off. I was exhausted by the pants operation I and to use my leg hook to pull my leg up to slip on my shoe.

What really exhausts me is if anything dressing and my other ADLs is just going to get more and more difficult as I age. I try to stave off this eventuality by developing more and more pieces of low-tech assistive technology that help me. The leg hooks for one. The tube booms (inner tubes I used to hoist my legs up to my lap so that I might put on socks and shoes. Did I mention my “sock sticks” for winter dressing: smaller flat pieces of wood I used to drag the sock over my heels.

Usually once get myself fairly well dressed, at least presentable; I used to stay that way. The pain I have been having in my back has forced me to switch chairs once I get to work. Doing this really messes me up and I have to “put myself” all over again when I get to where I am going. A trick I have used over the years which is sort of peculiar just to me has been the ability to produce a controlled spasm which allows me to pull up my pants to a presentable fashion. Now I am noticing between the pain in left shoulder and a general weakening I am sensing over my body I can no longer get the lift(on command) I am used to. I am even beginning to explore the option of retuning to the osteopathic surgeon to reconsider shoulder options or maybe before that step is taken I will try the physical therapy option again. Maybe with a little exercise and commitment on my part I will do just fine.

Tomorrow is my office partners last day or should have been. We had her going away lunch today at the Olive Garden. She never showed up—actually she did not even make it in for work today. She called me and said she had had a poor night and had over slept but she would be as soon as possible. She must have gone back to sleep and slept hard. I kinda think she is done with this office. I sensed that yesterday during a sort of exit interview. Too bad it was a great lunch. I have the Russians tonight so it’s my long day…I got to pace myself.

No comments: